Is it OK

glwerth
glwerth Posts: 335 Member
To use the machines at the gym to start with weights?

Our gym is very small and I'm often the only person there. We don't have a personal trainer available, so I don't have anyone to check for form or that I'm doing it right. I've used the weight machines in the past and do now, almost every day.

Also, how do you know when to increase weight? I'm using a non-scientific method now of moving it up by 5 lbs every time I don't feel like I can't possibly do even one more repetition.

I'm doing 40 minutes of moderate cardio (exercise bike, the treadmill bores me to tears and the ellipitical, for some reason, makes me seriously dizzy and nauseated...I think it's the up and down movement) and then about 25-35 minutes to do the weight machines.

Am I doin' it wrong? Is there a wrong?

Hey, at least I now have a bicep muscle that shows, never had one of those before! :0)

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Ideally free weights is the "best" way to go, but you have to work with what you got, and if all you have is machines, then that is way better than doing nothing:)
  • glwerth
    Ideally free weights is the "best" way to go, but you have to work with what you got, and if all you have is machines, then that is way better than doing nothing:)

The gym I go to has full free weights and all the other stuff....I just have zero idea of even where to start. It is kind of intimidating for me. I'm 45 and female and not really what you'd call 'in shape' on the kindest day.

Could you point me in the direction of a video or book that could give me a step by step instruction?
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member

The gym I go to has full free weights and all the other stuff....I just have zero idea of even where to start. It is kind of intimidating for me. I'm 45 and female and not really what you'd call 'in shape' on the kindest day.

Could you point me in the direction of a video or book that could give me a step by step instruction?
    "New Rules on lifting for Women" is a great book
  • glwerth

"New Rules on lifting for Women" is a great book

Just ordered it from Amazon. Now we'll see how long it takes me to get over my fear and do it! :)