Vegan protein

Options
empressichel
empressichel Posts: 730 Member
I got my protein up to 122 today, but my fats at a bit over.
Had a look at other people's diaries and there is a lot of lean meat in there! No help to me!
Should I have another protein shake a day or should I just relax a bit about my macros?
:wink:

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian so it isn't quite as tricky as vegan but I still find it hard hitting my macros. However I try to make sure I always get at least 1g per pound of my lean body mass (approx 106) so as long as I get over that I'm happy, although I'm usually quite a bit over now. On heavy workout days (lifting etc) I'll have an extra protein shake just to keep my muscles happy.
  • SlinkyNewMe
    SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It is hard as a vegan to reach the high numbers. Mine are only high when I have protein shakes, vegan sausages, etc, but I worry that these are too processed and prefer to use natural protein rich foods such as tofu, beans, lentils, soya milk. Tempeh, which is made from soya beans is also high in protein, but it is an acquired taste (one that sadly I did not acquire!).

Personally I don't worry too much about my macros - just try and include protein in most of my meals. This is easily done, by sprinkling a few sesame seeds, linseeds, or sunflower seeds into salads or a stir fry. Every little bit adds up!
  • emsnyc
    emsnyc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Having the same issues as you all... the average vegan has no problem getting enough protein... but when your are building muscle, it is truly a challenge to get the numbers up there without going overboard on the calories. I'm trying to figure what to cut out of my diet- there are definitely a few things I need to reduce- I could rely less heavily on protein bars and nut butters, but I cannot eliminate them. I need the bars for a quick post workout fix on the days I am away from home, like at the gym en route to work... and the nut butters are important too. It's hard, but it's worth it to stick to your principles. We don't get the instant gratification of "building muscle fast" like carnivores, but it can be done with persistence and dedication. It's just a struggle when you are new at it, and I am. I was okay when I was losing weight, cutting was not a problem, but maintaining is getting to be an issue for me as is building muscle for strength training. I feel I either under consume or over consume... it's a process of learning I guess.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I get most of my protein from beans, seeds and whole grain breads, quinoa ect..I've not had an issue building muscle and I actually think I'm making more progress than before I was vegan and ate more protein from meats an animal foods. I get about 40-60 grams daily. I exercise 4-5 days a week with running, pilates, boxing, and weights.