Confused about calculating how many calories I need??

britneyy32
britneyy32 Posts: 97 Member
So I am confused about several things regarding calculating how many calories I should be eating.. in the main thread where it is explained, it says to use scooby's fat loss calorie calculator, which uses the Harris-Benedict formula. I noticed on the website he has another calorie calculator, which is called the "world's most accurate calorie calculator" and it uses the Mifflin-St Jeor formula, which is supposed to be 5% more accurate than the Harris-Benedict formula. Is there a reason why the calorie calculator that uses the Harris-Benedict formula was recommended? Is it better than the other one for some reason? Also, I have no idea what to put for my activity level.. usually I would work out for about 3 hours a day, but now that I'm busy I am only working out for about an hour and a half or less everyday. Which activity level should I use? For now I have been using sedentary and adding in the specific amount of calories I burn from working out everyday, is that okay to do too?

Replies

• AmbitionStrong
    AmbitionStrong Posts: 46 Member
    You can use both calculators and choose an average between the two.

I would recommend moderate exercise, but you didn't say what kind of exercise it is. An hour and a half everyday? (Seems like too much to me! lol)
  • britneyy32
    britneyy32 Posts: 97 Member
    Usually I will go on the elliptical, stair stepper, and lift weights, and I also have been doing the brazilian butt workout but I'm going to take a break from that for 2 weeks since I've been so busy. So I usually would do that for 3 hours a day, but now I'm cutting it down to an hour and a half or a less a day since I've been so busy. I also go hiking a lot anywhere from 3 - 5 hours usually.
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    That's VERY active if you ask me! Wowza!! I work out about 1.5-2.5 hours (incuding warmup/cooldown yoga) 4-5 times a week. On weekends I play golf (pulling clubs) or ski/snowshoe if it's winter. I think this would be considered active but I only put in moderate because for the rest of the day I may be in front of a computer or somesuch. You sound really motivated and active. Good for you! That means more calories to your day. Wish it were me! ; ) Can't say what's better about the two different calorie equations. I think 5 % discrepancy is negligent but, what do I know? Good luck.