5 stages of EM2WL

Options
empressichel
empressichel Posts: 730 Member
OK, so it's early days for me, but I think I am over the mental hurdles of starting out on EM2WL which, let's face it, are much tougher than the physical.
I have come to see it as the same as the 5 stages of grief;
1. DENIAL You can't lose weight by eating more. If I go from 1200 cal a day to 1700, or shock horror, even more, I am going to pile the weight on. It just doesn't add up. OK, over that one, I am eating more, eating clean, clothes are slacker. See ya later DENIAL.
2. ANGER also look at this one as fear. To take that first step and believe. What if I gain? It's been such a struggle to take these few pounds off. Then comes in the anger when you realise that you have wasted so many years in starving your body, not getting results and using so much time and energy on hours of cardio. I'm not one to hold on to negativity so ANGER, you're out the door too.
3. BARGAINING What if I keep my cals rediculously low and then eat back some of my exercise calories? I could still do truck loads of cardio and do weights on the same day? Get real, BARGAINING, you're kicked to the kerb.
4. DEPRESSION Now that's a tough one for me. We all have our low moments but I'm not letting this one in. I guess this starts with most with the scales and when we see a temporary gain. Well, it ain't happening here. Scales, you are not my friend, you do not rule me and I am not going to speak to you for the next few weeks. DEPRESSION, you are not welcome here so off you scoot.
5. ACCEPTANCE I have arrived! 1200 cals a day is just not do-able for any of us for the rest of our lives. We must feed our bodies, love them for us to have that mutual respect for each other. We can eat more and look good, feel good and be happy.
So DENIAL, ANGER, BARGAINING and DEPRESSION you can clear out of hear and leave me with ACCEPTANCE and feeling really good about myself.
BTW, acceptance is official, my treadmill is up for sale ( I have always hated running ) and the proceeds are going towards new weights and I mean PROPER weights.
:bigsmile: :flowerforyou: :smooched:

Replies

• HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Nice post!
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    wowww awesome post!!! Cheers to your new weights!!! I LOVE weights :bigsmile: And cheers to making it through EM2WL...with our sanity in tact haha :drinker:
  • Tahlij
    Tahlij Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    LOVE this!!! :happy:
  • mishkat
    mishkat Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    *thumbs up*

You don't have to get rid of the treadmill though. It is nice to alternate strength training with cardio and the treadmill also helps with dynamic warm ups before lifting. :)
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Beautiful:)
  • shae68143
    shae68143 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I love it, I'm in and have gone thru some of those stages myself!! Thanks so much for posting this, it is sooo true :)
  • CharliesAngel1
    CharliesAngel1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    great post! love it!
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    No really the treadmill has got to go!
    I've never been into running, even when I have been very fit, I just did I cos that's what you do!
    I am not loosing cardio altogether just want to do the things that I enjoy like kickboxing and stationary bike :wink:
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    No really the treadmill has got to go!
    I've never been into running, even when I have been very fit, I just did I cos that's what you do!
    I am not loosing cardio altogether just want to do the things that I enjoy like kickboxing and stationary bike :wink:

First of all, great OP! You've inspired me! This is so tough, but so worth it!

Second of all, to this that I quoted, EXACTLY. You do what you want. What makes you happy. I enjoy sometimes doing HIIT on my elliptical while watching one of my shows on Netflix or reading, but more than that, I love the different interval training videos - Insanity, Plyo, kickboxing, etc.

All that with weights = happiness!

Happiness means I'll keep doing it! Because I've made it more than a workout routine. It's my LIFE!

Here's to LIFE and FOOD and eating to fuel our bodies so that we can be strong, beautiful, healthy women and men! (Okay,the men can be handsome or hot instead. :) )
  • emsnyc
    emsnyc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    OK, so it's early days for me, but I think I am over the mental hurdles of starting out on EM2WL which, let's face it, are much tougher than the physical.
    1. DENIAL You can't lose weight by eating more. If I go from 1200 cal a day to 1700, or shock horror, even more, I am going to pile the weight on. It just doesn't add up. OK, over that one, I am eating more, eating clean, clothes are slacker. See ya later DENIAL.
    2. ANGER also look at this one as fear. To take that first step and believe. What if I gain? It's been such a struggle to take these few pounds off. Then comes in the anger when you realise that you have wasted so many years in starving your body, not getting results and using so much time and energy on hours of cardio. I'm not one to hold on to negativity so ANGER, you're out the door too.
    3. BARGAINING What if I keep my cals rediculously low and then eat back some of my exercise calories? I could still do truck loads of cardio and do weights on the same day? Get real, BARGAINING, you're kicked to the kerb.
    4. DEPRESSION Now that's a tough one for me. We all have our low moments but I'm not letting this one in. I guess this starts with most with the scales and when we see a temporary gain. Well, it ain't happening here. Scales, you are not my friend, you do not rule me and I am not going to speak to you for the next few weeks. DEPRESSION, you are not welcome here so off you scoot.
    5. ACCEPTANCE I have arrived! 1200 cals a day is just not do-able for any of us for the rest of our lives. We must feed our bodies, love them for us to have that mutual respect for each other. We can eat more and look good, feel good and be happy.
    So DENIAL, ANGER, BARGAINING and DEPRESSION you can clear out of hear and leave me with ACCEPTANCE and feeling really good about myself.
    BTW, acceptance is official, my treadmill is up for sale ( I have always hated running ) and the proceeds are going towards new weights and I mean PROPER weights.

Wow, I soooo hear you on all of this. Except I love running. But I have been over doing it on the calories and not even the running helps enough. You are definitely right about the exercise though... you've got to do what you enjoy or it's hard to stick to it... I had to get off the treadmill and run outside. I HATED the treadmill and would dread it. I love running outside. Totally different for me. I have cut down my gym days a lot that way and enjoy the days I do go more than I did when I was enduring tedious stuff. Weights are great, and you can do a lot of HIIT with them that is more fun than just doing regular cardio all the time.

As for the food, I need to eat more green bulk to prevent binging on the high calorie stuff... it's a problem. I have gotten sloppy... need to buy more fresh produce... but living alone I get sick when sometimes I see it goes bad from over purchase... still learning how to eat and how to shop... this lifestyle change is a gradual one.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Sounds great and I am just beginning my emtwl as well. I feel more confident figuring my own numbers, and learning about the %'s of nutrients I need for my body. I know there is something new to learn here every day so looking forward to reading as many posts as possible, Denise:drinker: :drinker: