Does the body "remember" dietary behaviors? Mine did.

nettasaura
nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
If you were to fall back into a pattern of dietary behaviors that were "damaging" or "dysfunctional" previously, but at a more optimal nutritional level, would the body "remember" and fall back into it's old way of "dealing" with said behaviors.

For example, if previously, you used to eat very little during the day and then have a big dinner, which always resulted in steady weight gain........if you were to fall back into that pattern of having smaller meals during the day and a big dinner, but are now eating at a TDEE deficit, is it possible for the body to "remember" and to revert to functioning the way it had previously...in a damaging manner?

Just curious......:flowerforyou:

The above example of an eating pattern is how I used to eat before embarking on my journey. Every day.....because hubby comes home from work and he's starving by then, so we always had a big dinner. I'd eat very little for breakfast and lunch....or sometimes skip lunch all together. Well....I'm eating at a TDEE cut right now and I was getting very frustrated because my weight was going up.....and up....and up. So I took a really good look at HOW I was eating and I noticed that I was once again eating smaller breakfast/lunch with somewhere between 40-50% of my cals for dinner. I know a lot of people are going to scoff at this because they say that it doesn't matter when or how much you eat at any one given time as long as you eat the same amount every day, but for me, IT DOES MATTER. I've since switched my meals around to adopt the old adage of "breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper" (with two small between meal snacks which are also staggered in their caloric values). Guess what? I'm finally losing! NOT just the bloat, but I've actually lost over a pound of actual weight in the last week alone after adopting these changes.

I thought I was going to have to do a complete reset, but it's not necessary. Yay! I just needed to reset my behaviors. Yes, it's hard seeing everybody else eat a big dinner, but on the flip side, they groan and drool at seeing my monster breakfast. :tongue: :laugh:

Your thoughts? :flowerforyou: Be nice...I'm fragile.