Bloat

Options
So what do you hypothyrod suffers take to ease the stomach bloat....besides a healthy diet.......Some weeks I have no problem with it, and other weeks it is HORRIBLE...to where I look like I'm six weeks pregnant. And "that time of the month" doesn't seem to play a factor. It can be anytime of the month that I have the bloat. I've heard about the Pearl probiotics. Any suggestions please! I'm tried of feeling and looking like I am 6 months pregnant.

Replies

• shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You may be eating foods that are causing gas as uncooked vegetables for some people and broccoli for some. Check what you eat when this happens. Possibly you need to consult with a g.i. doctor. I had gallbladder problems that went away when the gallbladder went away (surgically).
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I hear you! Very annoying... I use Oval tablets when/if I get bloat. Mostly its a reaction to something you are intolerant to. Lots of milk intolerant people get that exact symptom. I get it if I eat any goitergens raw... if I use stevia; or drink really strong coffee. If you are gluten intolerant, it might do the same thing.
    I also find laying on one side for a few minutes each... left, then right, then back & repeat, it helps a lot, doesn't take too terribly long either.
  • hsrunningmom
    hsrunningmom Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Sometime suppliments can also cause bloating. I've used 2 Tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar with mother (the mother is very important) in two cups of water to help relieve my bloating. I also add about 10 drops of liquid stevia that helps make it a very tastey drink. (And, you would want to drink it through a straw). A good probiotic can also be a great help too.
  • crazycarrol
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I stay away from the veggies that us hypothyroid suffers are suppose to stay away from. I don't think it is milk, since I don't eat a lot of dairy and can't stand the taste of milk so I don't drink it. I've tried the Pearl probiotic and it seemed to help the first month but now it doesn't seem to help anymore and they are a little pricey. I've thought about trying a gluten free diet.
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I discovered that other than breads, cheese and dairy cause my bloat.
    I started doing low carb in may. I began to feel a lot better and wake up in the morning with a flat stomache. Then by evening I would look 6 months pregnant. I began a process of elimination from my food diary and I discovered cheese (especially laughing cow and soft cheeses), milk, non whipped cream like coffee cream in large quantities, as well as crackers, bread and wheat products cause not only bloat but other digestive issues as well,
    Review your diary and try eliminating one thing at a time then analyze what works and what doesn't.
    Hope this helps.:smile:
  • shebrah
    shebrah Posts: 4
    Options
    What veggies are recommended that us hypo's should avoid?
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    So what do you hypothyrod suffers take to ease the stomach bloat....besides a healthy diet.......Some weeks I have no problem with it, and other weeks it is HORRIBLE...to where I look like I'm six weeks pregnant. And "that time of the month" doesn't seem to play a factor. It can be anytime of the month that I have the bloat. I've heard about the Pearl probiotics. Any suggestions please! I'm tried of feeling and looking like I am 6 months pregnant.

^ I had this exact same thing forever (my thyroid has been my problem for 25+ years). I drink a healthy "fat flusher" whenever I feel puffy and it works for me. It is a shake. With spinach, water (or milk), protein, and fruit. If you want, let me know and I can give you the recipe.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Consider the amount of gluten you are eating -- http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/saturated-fat/wheat-belly/

Wheat is FAMOUS for causing bloating.