blood sugar crash forced me out of keytosis :(

Options
Last night my blood sugar dropped to 55. It was awful. I felt so shaky and dizzy and numb. I had to eat sugar to get my blood sugar up to normal and I hated it. All of this hard work and denial to keep my carbs below 25 and stay in keytosis and last night I had to ruin it because my blood sugar got too low. My emergency stash of reeces pieces really was there for an emergency! I ate about 20 of them. This really sucks. Now it will take days to get back into keytosis and it has been so hard to not jut say screw it, I am already ruined, why not just binge. Grrrrr! I want bread so much right now!

Replies

• mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Hang in there!! I have never tested my blood sugar... but maybe instead of candy can you have a piece of fruit ? I don't know if that would help with cravings though :(
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking of low carb as denial! Think of it as freedom - freedom to eat a WIDE variety of delicious and satiating foods, freedom from counting calories, freedom from pounds of fat, freedom from diabetes complications - you get the picture!

Losing weight is not a race. Don't feel bad that your weight loss slows because you had to take care of yourself. It happens - even to those of us who don't have a good excuse :)

Start again tomorrow. Glad you got yourself stabilized!
  • kimmbird
    kimmbird Posts: 55
    Options
    Hang in there, you hv a lot of great support and advice here. Remember all the good you are doing for your wonderful body. You are doing something great! I love mstorvik's suggestion to use the crash as a great excuse to eat fruit...I miss fruit so badly, however I treat myself with an once of berries when I feel my body can handle it and when I hv been stable w/ my net carbs. Or pick a sugar like raw sugar so it isn't a treat but more like medicine...just a suggestion, but I can see how chocolate chips could be medicine for me ;D...opps can't go there ;)

My example of getting out of ketosis is when I go on hikes. We go out for about 4 ours and my body is resistant to switching to burning fat, so I always take dates for that little energy boost. I know I will pay for those two little dates w. 2lb water wt gain, but the benefit that I get from that hike is well worth it. It has taken me a long time to understand this and accept it. It still hurts like h*** to see the rise in the scale, but the benefits so out weight the scale :)

Remember it isn't the destination, it is all about the journey...
  • PrincessShay135
    Options
    Thank you so much for your support everyone, I really needed it from my fellow low carbers who I know will understand what I am going through. I did not give up today and go on a carb fest like I so badly wanted, very proud of myself!!! I am about to go work out now but this time will not do it on an empty stomach and will have a protein shake as soon as I am done. My body is still getting used to the new medication (glyburide) so I wasn't expecting the crash. Now I know better how to prevent one. I could use some more low carb support so please add me as a friend. Thanks again!
  • kimmbird
    kimmbird Posts: 55
    Options
    Alright girlfriend! wTG!
  • kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 424
    Options
    All you need to get out of a blood sugar crash is something as simple as a roll of smarties. It's just the right amount of sugar to get that spike you need to get back in balance. About a month ago I had to reach for some M&Ms because I experienced hypoglycemia like that. Don't think of it as a set back... just keep moving forward :smile:

And no, she shouldn't be reaching for anything other than something with very simple sugar because a glucose level of 55 is dangerous...

hdb02reg__61440_std.jpg
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    next time try peanut butter. it has protein and fats, and if you don't eat too much, will not kick you out of ketosis.
    eat it with celery for a great snack so you don't have that happen again! i hope you're feeling better.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter would take my wife 4 hours to possibly start to move up and can cause a dangerous condition. Simple fast sugar, just what you need. It's a requirement for diabetics LC or not. We make sure to keep some OJ and Dextrose tabs from the pharmacy.
  • LaJaunaF
    LaJaunaF Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You can also raise your blood sugar with protein. Eating a boiled egg or some cheese can do the trick. Also if you must do sugar get the glucose disks ( made for low BS). They keep your mind on the fact that it is "medicine" and not "candy". If you give yourself permission to eat foods that "trigger" you, you might have trouble down the road. Something to think about.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your support everyone, I really needed it from my fellow low carbers who I know will understand what I am going through. I did not give up today and go on a carb fest like I so badly wanted, very proud of myself!!! I am about to go work out now but this time will not do it on an empty stomach and will have a protein shake as soon as I am done. My body is still getting used to the new medication (glyburide) so I wasn't expecting the crash. Now I know better how to prevent one. I could use some more low carb support so please add me as a friend. Thanks again!

Out of curiousity, does your doctor know you're eating low carb while taking the glyburide? This could be what caused the low blood sugar, if the dosage isn't appropriate. If glyburide works by stimulating the pancreas to produce more insulin, it doesn't make sense to me why you would need more insulin if you're eating low-carb. But, I'm not a doctor.