Where to start?

Options
shivles
shivles Posts: 468 Member
First off, sorry I know there are probably loads of posts like this one!

I want to get into weight training, to tone up and gain strength, not too much but just some nice definition. I've just ordered New Rules of Lifting for Women, but I don't have a gym membership so I'm after things I can do at home. I'm looking at weight sets, what weight do I need? Do I need just dumbbells or a barbell too? I already run 3/4 times a week (training for half marathon) So when is the best time to do a strength work out? Do I need protein shakes?

Replies

• shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Anyone? :/
  • tocara
    tocara Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    What areas are you wanting to tone/ have nice definition with?

You can use your own body weight to start with.

When I dont want to go tot he gym I often do exercises at home just with my own body weight. I tend do to more reps then if I was to add weight.. and that helps with muscle endurance vs just brute strength.

Some of my favourite quick at home workouts (no weights, however you can always add them).. .are:

Do this 3 times: 10 push ups, 20 sit ups, 25 squats, 20 lunges, 80 jumping jacks, 60 sec all sit

Do this 3 times: 30 jumping jacks, 5 push ups, 25 high knees, 7 burpees, 10 crunches, 7 squats, 5 push ups, 10 crunches, 5 pushups, 7 squats, 30 jumping jacks, 60 sec wall sit, 5 push ups, 25 high knees
  • leeapeea
    leeapeea Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You can certainly start with no weights. Find out what exercises you'd like to do, then purchase what you need as you need it. I have one barbell with a few plates and two sets of dumbells, one that's a set weight and one with plates. I also have a pullup bar and an exercise ball, and I can do almost any exercise with this equipment.

I used Bodybuilding.com to get some ideas on different exercises for each muscle group. You can sort by the equipment you have (or don't have). You can get a great full body workout with just your own body and using gravity in creative ways (think tricep dips from a chair, wall sits, stair calf-raises).