Transitioning from the treadmill to outside?

Options
cobylea
cobylea Posts: 194 Member
I'm currently only on week 2 of the program and I have been mostly using the treamill for my runs. Right now the treadmill is just easier for me as I'm a single mom and tend to get on it after my son has gone to bed for the night. Once I'm done the full 9 weeks I plan on registering for a 5K. What is going to be the easiest and most effective way for me to begin running outside?

Replies

• Alohakrisi
    Options
    Hi Cobylea
    Don't wait for the nine weeks to end. The first one or two times might feel different but that doesn't matter. I also started out on the treadmill but after my third outside run I haven't been back because it's just so much more fun outside. Go easy and don't push if you feel uncomfortable. Otherwise there's not much else to consider.
    Have fun.

Kristen
  • classictoaster
    Options
    I recommend making the change as soon as possible. I was running on a treadmill at first, but then I switched after W2, and I'm so glad I did it. I enjoy my runs more, have become acclimated to the heat outside (so I'll be more prepared for my races in September!), and you have the luxury of a not totally flat running surface - it's more realistic, so to speak, with the occasional dips and hills.
  • miannie
    miannie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will work for you, but I don't like running outside as much as I like running on the treadmill so I'm transitioning myself slowly. I do D1 on the treadmill, D2 on the indoor track (I'm lucky to have access to one, though!) and D3 outside.
    Also if you can start out on a flat route (i.e. not too many hills - and don't forget that long hills with a slight incline are tough, too) things will be much easier. And make sure you stay hydrated and don't run in the extreme heat of the day. :)
    Most of all, don't be afraid to push yourself, but not too hard. For me it's easy to get distracted and start running too fast to the point where I'm not comfortable anymore, so I have to remind myself that I can go as slowly as I want as long as I keep going.
    Good luck!!
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    At the moment I run on a treadmill as it is more convenient for me. So I don't suffer a major shock to the system when I do start running outside I always set the tredmill to a 0.5 or 1% gradient as I have heard that this really helps.
  • lanzaroteblue
    lanzaroteblue Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Personally, it's convenient for me to run outside twice
    a week and on the tredmill the other time.
    For the first 5 Weeks, I found it easier to run outside
    all the time rather than trying to mess about with treadmill
    controls. I find outside easier generally as you can change
    your pace without having to worry about the controls.
    Good luck with venturing outside (and sign up for a race
    as soon as you can so you have something to aim for - even
    if it's a while after the programme finishes)
    Enjoy
    Nicola xxx
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 4 now (just finished Day 3) and I am freaked out by the idea of transitioning outside. I'm gonna take Titanium's advice and move the incline up so I am a little more prepared. I plan on going outside next monday morning because the temperature is supposed to be cooler than it is right now in the morning.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    You need to incline at 2% even then I struggled outside after doing 5k on a treadmill you tend to go faster outside I use runkeeper with 1 min feedbacks on my iPhone telling me my pace and I always go off to fast in the first minute
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Outside is harder but so much more rewarding. I would definitely recommend that you run outside at least once a week - because it is a big shock! I could run for 20 minutes on the treadmill, went outside and could barely manage 2...although maybe I was just unfit. Treadmill is last resort now!
  • fitnesskb12
    fitnesskb12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also need to transition outside. I completely W3D1 today and haven't tried it on the track yet. I do not have a smart phone with an app and I'm concerned about keeping up with my time. The thing I do like about the treadmill is I know if I only have 30 more seconds I can make it but if I'm outisde without looking at the time I'm not sure I will keep going. any Suggestions? not sure how it will work for me trying to look at a stopwatch while running!
  • miannie
    miannie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I also need to transition outside. I completely W3D1 today and haven't tried it on the track yet. I do not have a smart phone with an app and I'm concerned about keeping up with my time. The thing I do like about the treadmill is I know if I only have 30 more seconds I can make it but if I'm outisde without looking at the time I'm not sure I will keep going. any Suggestions? not sure how it will work for me trying to look at a stopwatch while running!
    Try looking for certain landmarks and checking the time when you reach them. If you're using a track you can use the marks that are on it. Pretty soon you'll get an understanding of how far you can run in a certain amount of time and then you'll know how often to check your stopwatch.
  • GypsyWillow22
    GypsyWillow22 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    outside is much more difficult, you should get used to it or you might have a really hard time at the 5k. get one of those athletic strollers to take you son with you when you run.
  • fitnesskb12
    fitnesskb12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I finally ran outside yesterday. It was W3D3. I was not able to do the 3 min runs so I did the first two at 1 1/2 min and then 1 min afterwards. It was definitely harder but I know I can do it with more practice. I did notice after the first time when to start checking the watch. I did go alittle further than I would on the treadmill. I normally only get 1.8 on the treadmill and I went 2 min on the track.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Well done! You won't regret heading outside :smile: