Strength training regimen for beginners?

NaurielR
NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
Hey, I'm just starting to try to get into strength training, but I'm at a loss of where to start and what to do. I've gone to my local fitness center a couple times and exercised with weights, but I felt like I was just farting around, and spent more time trying to decide what exercises I should do then I spent actually exercising!

I worked mostly with free weights, and like it better that way because a lot of the upper body machines are not built for people under five feet tall (although I do enjoy the leg press and the seated rowing machine :P). Besides, I feel a little more BA working with dumbbells

I'd like some resource that will give me a complete work out to do, one that I could print out, take to the gym, and cross off after I've done it.

I wouldn't say that I'm an expert at perfect form, but I've taken healthy and fitness classes, so I know some basics for a lot of exercises. I just need help figuring out what to do.

Do any of you have any advice?

Replies

• maltipink
    maltipink Posts: 147 Member
    I came across this last night because I am in a similar situation. This is a great website that not only gives you tons of strength training workout choices but also has demonstration videos for each exercise so you know how to do it. correctly.http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/main.html/
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Thank you! This looks like a good resource.

Also, if anybody has anything else, I'd like to add that I want to focus mostly on upper body strength.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    I like New Rules of Lifting for Women. It fits all your criteria and it is a 6 month program if you follow it to the T.