How To Strength Train Without A Gym???

Options
deevatude
deevatude Posts: 322 Member
i want to start strength training but i dont have access to weights or a gym memebership.

how do i go abt adding strength training to my regimen?

Replies

• MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    body weight exercises such as press ups

you can buy a chin-up bar pretty cheap

if you have the space, you can buy weights for home use too
  • deevatude
    Options
    thanks
  • Mistymath
    Mistymath Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone, check out the Nike Training Club app. It has some great suggestions with videos. Not sure if it's available for other smart phones.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I do weights at home. I started out buying a couple barbie weights, then bought a dumbell set for 40 bucks and made do with that till I had more money to invest in more dumbell plates, then a barbell. Growing my weight set as I can afford it. I still don't have a bench, but I use a huge plastic bin stuffed with random stuff just to give it some strength. I don't have a whole lotta room but I manage. Where there is a will, there is usually a way. I also do Jillian Micheals Banish Fat Boost Metabolism. I found it on YouTube and it has strengthened parts of me I forgot I even had haha. Just some ideas, hope they help!!
  • rr85114
    rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • missb92
    missb92 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kiris2
    Kiris2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am in the beginning stages as well. A knowledgeable woman told me about Nerd Fitness. Check it out. I found the starters guide and it's a great site. Good luck.
  • deevatude
    Options
    I do weights at home. I started out buying a couple barbie weights, then bought a dumbell set for 40 bucks and made do with that till I had more money to invest in more dumbell plates, then a barbell. Growing my weight set as I can afford it. I still don't have a bench, but I use a huge plastic bin stuffed with random stuff just to give it some strength. I don't have a whole lotta room but I manage. Where there is a will, there is usually a way. I also do Jillian Micheals Banish Fat Boost Metabolism. I found it on YouTube and it has strengthened parts of me I forgot I even had haha. Just some ideas, hope they help!!

what weight of weights did u start off with?

i saw some 5-10 pound weights at target but i dont think it would be that effective
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I wasn't very optimistic when I first started cause I hadn't lifted in years, so I just bought some 2 and 3lb ones and two velcro ones for my legs. The dumbells weren't expensive but the velcro ones were over 10 dollars. Those didn't last me long at all, basically just helped me figure out what I really needed. Ended up buying two 5lbs dumbells. Then a week or so later, I ended up buying the weight set from Canadian Tire which was I think two 2.5lb plates, two 5lb plates and two dumbell bars. That did me for a while. It was 40 dollars. Few weeks later I bought a 3 piece barbell that you screw together to make the one piece. Didn't come with any weights, just the bar alone was just under 20 dollars. Bought it at Canadian Tire also. I was able to switch what weight plates I had back and forth between the dumbell bars and the barbell bar for a while, till I was able to get a couple of 10lb plates for the barbell. They were like 10 dollars each. Couple weeks ago I had to go out and buy two more 5lb plates for the barbell. My next purchas will be a couple more 10lb plates probably, but not for a few weeks or so. I've been able to find what I needed at Canadian Tire or Walmart and the weight plates and bars are interchangable from both stores which really makes things simpler....and cheaper. Hope this helps and happy lifting :smile:
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    There's also a cheapie dumbbell set at walmart that comes with four 7.5 lb. plates and four 2.5 plates for 20 bucks. They plates are vinyl and kind of bulky, but, hey, they're weights.
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
  • ChappyEight
    ChappyEight Posts: 163 Member
    Options

I've been doing this one for a couple weeks now. It's a great way to start.
  • slammy1079
    slammy1079 Posts: 97
    Options

I've been doing this one for a couple weeks now. It's a great way to start.

Nerd Fitness' playground workout is a good one too - bodyweight stuff you can do anywhere!
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I love nerdfitness. They have some good stuff on there. I have this dumbbell set, cast iron, they only had the 40# option when I bought:
    http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Cast-Iron-Dumbbells-Market/dp/B008DITBEW/ref=sr_1_1?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1342807004&sr=1-1&keywords=dumbbells+lion
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am starting P90x on Monday. I am stealing hubby's weights :-p