Ladies' Running Clothes

Options
WhiteCloud9
WhiteCloud9 Posts: 113 Member
Hi all,

I'm going into week 6 today and I've been getting frustrated with my shorts wanting to ride up into you-know-where. I do have a pair of Under Armor shorts to wear under my running shorts and that helps, more so that I don't feel the outside shorts riding up. I also have a pair of workout crop pants that work just fine but it's so darn hot outside with them on! I'm wondering if the problem with the shorts is that they have the built in underwear?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or am I the only one who has this problem?

Replies

• classictoaster
    Options
    Nope, I have this problem too. My thighs touch when I'm standing, let alone running, and for me it's that friction that makes them ride up. Not sure if that's what's causing it for you, but I don't think the built in undies have anything to do with it.

The only thing I've found so far that works for me are the capri, skin-tight running pants - which I know you said are hot to run in. Maybe look for those in shorts form? I know some brands make those fabric shorts, but they come down to your mid-thigh instead of past your knees. I wish I could explain this better, lol, but know that you're definitely not alone in this problem.
  • pagingdoctork
    pagingdoctork Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    YES. I've always run in yoga capris, and I finally bought shorts this week... my thighs chafed a little, and for the first 8 minutes or so, i felt like my junk was hanging out as they kept riding up. I don't think it was the built-in undies causing the problem, because mine don't have those :(
  • miannie
    miannie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about biking shorts? I've never tried them, but the shorts I have that fit tightly in the thigh work pretty well. :)
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people wear compression shorts because I guess they don't ride up.

I run in the running skirts with the built in shorts. They start out good and after about 10 minutes die up. I make sure to use the Monistat anti chafing gel so at least Im not in pain, or starting a fire from the friction :laugh:
  • farmmandy
    farmmandy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use spandex shorts or Walmart has Danskin Bermuda length cotton shorts that don't ride up at all! :)
  • Redtango76
    Redtango76 Posts: 144
    Options
    I've been wearing athletic capris and haven't had any issues with riding up or chafing but I also live in a cooler climate and haven't had to worry about heat.
  • Hurley1203
    Hurley1203 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with the running shorts riding up in the crotch, lol. I hate it, I am constantly tugging them down the whole time. I am sure that's really attractive....
    Anyway, just bought some shorts at Target today, the Champion brand. They have built in bike short kind of things in them. I really hope they help. And the chafing is another problem.
    Who mentioned the Monistat anti chafe? Where did you find that? I didn't see it at my Target.
  • mrbunsrocks
    mrbunsrocks Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't have actual running shorts, but I bought some longer length (9" inseam) compression shorts from Old Navy and I'm happy with them. The compression in the top keeps the muffin top/post-baby pooch in check, and the longer length means they don't ride up and don't chafe.

These are the ones I bought: http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=69873&vid=1&pid=898414&scid=898414032 Also, I did buy the 3" inseam version of these, but they are BOOTY shorts, so I don't feel comfortable running around outside in them.

I've been using this shirt (also Old Navy) and it's pretty good. It's nice and long and doesn't ride up too much. It's got a bit of compression, which helps hold things in (I can get away with just the built-in bra + my sports bra, rather than having to wear 2 bras). http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=53934&vid=1&pid=116470&scid=116470002

I don't really want to spend a fortune on workout clothes, but I'm really happy with these ones, especially the value for money.
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I was pulling at my shorts for the first few run intervals and then decided ti give up and let the shorts rise and stay up. I have the danskin capris and i wear them year roune. I just thought i would try the shorts with hopes of them staying in place. I have types of shorts and its not the undies. :blushing:
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Who mentioned the Monistat anti chafe? Where did you find that? I didn't see it at my Target.

I got it at walmart. Near the feminine stuff.
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one with this problem! I ended up buying biker shorts (some of the longer ones that come mid way down your thigh). Only ones I could find were off brand at Academy and on a rarity, Nike.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem....even the ones with the undies built in. It doesn't bother me too much, I just know it doesn't look great. I sometimes wear my running skirt. The built in shorts still ride up, but at least the skirt portion hides it!!
  • GypsyWillow22
    GypsyWillow22 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Quit paying extra for the anti-chaffing stuff! Just use your deodorant. It works just as well, if not better.