New Hypo to the Group - Advice

I am a NEWly diagnosed Hypo Gal! Well, diagnosed almost a year ago.
I was very tired 2 years ago, now I feel better but my general doc didn't know about dealing with my fatigue & weight gain. I started on Synthroid Aug 2011, but since then instead of my weight going down I went up 35-40lbs... UP?!?! I am miserable, never had to watch my weight ever in my life.

I am seeing an Endo doc now, he's thinking sleep apnea and I am currently going to do that test here soon. I don't really snore I am told, but who knows.

Anyway, I have read through some of your posting and I didn't know I was supposed to stay a way from certain veggies, etc.?
I do notice I have issues with milk products as the years go on. i have gaulbladder issues too, IBS, undiagnosed, but i have issues there. What foods are you to stay away from??

I just don't know where to start with my Hypothiroid issues... is diet something I have to watch now? What should I be doing to be proactive for myself? I gotta lose this weight too, it's too much and just keeps going up Up UP!

Thank you for helping,
kjcharle

Replies

• debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    :flowerforyou: Welcome kjcharle!
    So sorry you're going through all that. I'm at work, so can't do much of a reply. But you should go check out this site: it has loads of info on hypothyroidism, and will really open your eyes to things you can do to feel better.
    stopthethyroidmadness.com
    I'm sure you'll get other answers, and when I get time I'll come back.
    Blessings,
    Debby
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    I haven't heard to stay away from veggies. I went undiagnosed with my hypo for over 4 years, I got diagnosed finally about 7-8 months ago after going in to the doc's and pitching a fit about them brushing me off like being fatigued and fat is nothing! They ordered blood work, severely low levels. Come to find out, a few months before I got pregnant with my first daughter, who is now 3 1/2... My levels were low enough to be on replacement hormones back then! The doc who ordered the blood work back then, never told my primary doctor, so nothing was done. Lovely, huh?
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    You should strictly avoid SOY - very bad for your thyroid.

You should also avoid eating RAW cruciferous veggies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruciferous_vegetables
    They are ok if you cook them.... these veggies have something in them that promotes the growth of goiters on our thyroid when eaten raw. cooking them removes the danger.

I avoid dairy - you don't have to, just don't eat anything high in calcium within 4 hours of taking your meds - calcium blocks the absorption of hypo medication.

I also avoid gluten - you don't have to, but it's pretty well documented that some people with hypo/hashi are sensitive to gluten and do much better when they avoid it. Symptoms might not be obvious, so I just don't eat it.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    I have also read that following a low carb lifestyle can help. I dont mean NO carb but cutting out white flours, white rice, refined sugars, and a lot of processed foods. I know it has definitely made a difference for me. I was also on a synthetic thyroid med that did nothing for me. My endo gave me Armour which is a natural form of thyroid and it helped a lot. I need to increase my dose I think but I still feel better than when I was on Levo.
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    I was found to have sleep apnea and the c pap helps and I'm not groggy all day. My endo added cytomel to a reduced dose of synthroid and I take it in the morning. I take cytomel 1/2 tab. at about noon also. I have a lot more energy with the cytomel and I'm not sleeping all afternoon when I take 1/2 of a pill at noon. Ask your doc about cytomel. I am now able to loose weight, the first time in 15 years!
  • kjcharle
    kjcharle Posts: 2
    Hi all, good advice for me!

I do have issues I think with milk I think, more like lactose... I've cut out milk and am using Lactaid, I LOVE milk and cheese it is so hard. I have heard to avoid soy too expecially ppl with Hashi, but I hear yes its okay, no avoid it. Also, I like soybeans, tofu so that doesn't leave me with a great amount of optionswhen it comes to milk replacements. I'm tryingcoconut milk, but... 'eh... it's okay.

I am reading more on Paleo eating... Any of you do that?

Thanks,
    kjcharle
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Paleo might be a little extreme. I think a reasonable diet of fresh, whole foods is the best. Lots of green veggies and if you eat meat or fish make sure it's natural without antibiotics and hormones. Try to avoid sugary, starchy, processed foods.

I use unsweetened Almond Milk in my coffee or cereal - it's quite good and only 35-40 calories per cup. Coconut milk is also excellent, but higher in calories.

I really urge you to avoid the soy -- it is terrible for the thyroid.