Estimating calories burned without the BodyMedia Fit?

Hi Everyone,

In preparation for my cut phase, I am trying to organize my cardio/strength training schedule. However, since I do not have the BMF I have to rely on the calories burned reading on my eliptical, treadmill or whatever info I can find on the internet.

-My eliptical says 275-300 for 30 minutes.
-The internet says 175-200 for "Jillian is trying to kill me" workout otherwise known as 30 day Shred (seems like it should be more!).
-And 360-400 calories for the Jillian Michaels "No more trouble zones" workout.

Do you think these numbers can be trusted? I'm afraid of burning too many calories (especially during the cut phase) and going under my BMR or not burning enough and not losing!!!

Also, what are your cardio/strength training schedules during the cut phase? Is it better to have more cardio, more strength or and even amount?

Replies

• maltipink
    maltipink Posts: 147 Member
    Hi Everyone,

In preparation for my cut phase, I am trying to organize my cardio/strength training schedule. However, since I do not have the BMF I have to rely on the calories burned reading on my eliptical, treadmill or whatever info I can find on the internet.

-My eliptical says 275-300 for 30 minutes.
    -The internet says 175-200 for "Jillian is trying to kill me" workout otherwise known as 30 day Shred (seems like it should be more!).
    -And 360-400 calories for the Jillian Michaels "No more trouble zones" workout.

Do you think these numbers can be trusted? I'm afraid of burning too many calories (especially during the cut phase) and going under my BMR or not burning enough and not losing!!!

Also, what are your cardio/strength training schedules during the cut phase? Is it better to have more cardio, more strength or and even amount?

I have a BMF and interestingly enough, I have done all of the activities you have listed since wearing it. My stats are 5'10" 160 pounds

elliptical: 50 minutes=344 calories
    NMTZ: 40 min=189 calories
    30DS: 25 min= 165

From what I understand, the BMF does not do well with the ellptical. However, I wore it on my left calf as some have suggested and it still gave me the burn of 344 for 50 minutes.

NMTZ is probably correct in burn because it is almost all weight training and no cardio. Regardless of your heart rate, the act of weight training does not burn many calories. The calorie burn after continuous strength training over time will allow you to burn more calories per minute in general.

I think the calorie burn for the 30 DS is pretty close to actual calorie burn

Not sure if this helps but its what I got! :)

The BMF works best with forward moving activities such as running and walking. I tend to get my highest burn doing that or something like a step class at the gym.
  • maltipink
    maltipink Posts: 147 Member
    I think the NMTZ is actually closer to 50 minutes total. I recalculated for that workout and it says 210
  • You can find a HRM for a reasonable amount that will provide a good approximation of the calories you're burning.
  • I actually just finished my elliptical workout for the day. I noticed that it had me burning around 30% more calories than my HRM. I'm 5' 4" and weigh 180. For my 40 minute workout today using different intervals from 4 to 11 I burned 284 calories. I typically burn around 230 calories doing 30 day shred until a few weeks in then it drops down to around 185 - 200 cals. Oh, and my Fitbit says I burned 298 cals for my 40 minute workout today.. I'm surprised it's so close to what my HRM says!