Paleo and Vegetarian

Hey Y'all,

I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian of 4ish years. In general I think it's been a great move for my health because I stopped eating chicken fingers and cheeseburgers and learned to like my vegetables. I did it mainly for environmental reasons, although along the way I've swallowed a lot of the "vegetarian/vegan diets are great for your health kool aid" of which sometimes I'm very strong in my convictions and recently feeling like not so much. I've been reading a lot on paleo diets and I'm wondering if any former vegetarians-current paleo dieters can tell me of your experiences. Alternatively any former paleo dieters, current veg eaters, I want to hear your thoughts too!

To be clear, for those who eat vegetarian/vegan for religious/ethical reasons, I'm happy for you and not trying to insult or change your mind! I am simply trying to get as much info as I can for my own journey. Going back to meat currently sounds pretty unappetizing to me, but the idea of eating less carbs sounds pretty good (especially given family history of diabetes). I doubt I could really eat that much meat, due to the fact that I literally don't iike the taste of it anymore, but maybe slowly trying to phase out crappy carbs, upping my veggies, and slowly trying some meats here and there. Ugh I don't know.

Ugh. So many diets. So little clear scientific data to back up my decisions.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Vegetarian and vegan diets are acknowledged by health professionals (Including but not limited to the ADA) to be perfectly healthy throughout life, assuming you eat a variety and barring extreme health issues of some sort. So if you're worried about being unhealthy, you can always just try to make sure you're getting in more variety, without adding the meat back. No reason to add meat if you don't like the taste, there's nothing in it that can't be found elsewhere, especially if you're vegetarian and not vegan.

If you want to lower your carb intake/get better ones, that's a separate issue entirely! Switch from white to brown, to start off with, if you haven't already. Once you've adjusted to that, try to lower your portion sizes of grains and up your intake of veggies. You can also up your intake of things like seitan, TVP, tofu, and other things of that nature, making those portions larger to compensate for the lowered carbs and leave you feeling fuller. =)
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Check out marksdailyapple.com. While he certainly falls on the side of a meat-oriented paleo diet, he also finds ways to help those who don't want to eat meat or animal products make the most of the paleo/primal lifestyle.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/vegetarian-protein/#axzz217SyZykW

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-go-primal-with-food-allergies-and-restrictions/#axzz217SyZykW (scroll down about a quarter of the page)
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 191 Member
    Cool thanks for the tips y'all! In feeling like there probably isn't just ONE way to a healthy lifestyle. Easy to get bogged down thinking there's only one way to go blargh. Maybe I should just focus in upping the veggies as you can't go wrong there :)
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    paelo is basically a modified adkins diet...