Any tips on how not to gain weight while quitting smoking?

Options
Hi guys I'm new here in this group. Today I consider quitting smoking again since there are already 6 members of my family who died from lung cancer & I know that lung cancer runs in my family. I tried quitting smoking before but evetually came back to that habit because I gained weight like crazy. Now I know all about the benefits far outweighs the weight gain but I really don't care all about it & weight gain is what I've been really dreading the most that actually discourages me from quitting. I heard that nicotine increases our metabolism & so when we quit, we gain weight even doing the same diet & exercise habits. Moreover I had ED issues before which is why I'm really dreading to see 6-20 lbs. "modest" weight gain. It doesn't matter if I will only gain 10 lbs. or less but I really want not to gain weight while quitting & even after quitting.

Do any of you lost weight or maintained your weight while quitting smoking? Please share some tips.

Cheers

Jackie

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I quit about 3 weeks ago and read everything possible online to prepare myself for quitting and fighting the cravings afterwards. I used MFP to lose 30 pounds and am now maintaining and was terrified of gaining weight back. While nicotine does speed up metabolism, I don't think it is enough to make someone gain 10 pounds. I think the weight gain comes into play mainly because a big nicotine craving eerily feels like a hunger pang. If you aren't going to satisfy that feeling with a cigarette, the mind thinks "food!" Then there is the oral fixation/hand to mouth thing that all of us ex-smokers are well aware of.

I have been a nonsmoker for 3 weeks now and haven't gained a pound. I made myself keenly aware of if I was actually hungry or not when I felt that pang...more often than not I wanted the cigarette, not food. Remember a real cigarette craving only lasts for a couple minutes so ride it out and don't replace your smoking habit with a snacking habit. I also found the book "Easyway to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr to be super helpful. I read it before I quit and it helped me understand how to break the psychological addiction to the cigarettes. It is available for free at most public libraries and I have heard there is a .PDF of it floating around for free on the internet.

Good luck and I'll be rooting for you! It isn't easy but quitting was clearly the best choice I have made for myself in a very long time.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I agree with melsinct.

The first time I quit smoking (was successful for 6 months), I had been on MFP for about a month. I didn't gain anything and I had been smoking almost a pack a day. Nicotine is a stimulant so it does help suppress appetite...not sure if it actually increases your metabolism though. In any case, I honestly believe the weight gain from quitting smoking is because people tend to eat more, even if it's not consciously. This happens because 1) they don't have the appetite suppressant anymore, 2) taste and smell improves, 3) there is a craving that feels like it needs to be filled one way or another, and 4) eating distracts from feeling the need to smoke and keeps their hands/mouth busy. So yes, losing weight is more difficult when you quit smoking, but it is not an unavoidable physical consequence of quitting.

I've been sucking on Powermint TicTacs like crazy. A sugar-free mint might be better but those are really strong and at 2 cals each, I'm not too worried :) Also, for some reason clementines have been my BEST friend. I've heard others say the same thing about citrus in general. For me I like clementines because they take time to eat because of the peeling and peeling also gives my hands something to do. They're also nice and small so you're not stuffing yourself or adding a ton of extra cals (and they're healthy cals anyway). If I really want a cig, I have a clementine and by the time I'm done with it, I usually feel a bit better.
  • harksy
    harksy Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I was using this site 4 weeks and had lost 9 lbs when i decided to give up the cigs that was the 2nd april this year. i posted a similar question to you and received a lot of support. Almost 4 months later i have lost a further 17 lbs AND FEEL GREAT! I am still getting some cravings, no longer on the nicotine patches but still using the gum i am finally starting to find it a bit easier.

Best advice i got at the time was to put all my focus into exercise whitch i done, I took cycling and have really improved puting in regular rides now of up to 70miles. I also keep a set of dumbells in the living room for when i got the craving in the evening

Good Luck
  • Moxie42
    Options
    I was using this site 4 weeks and had lost 9 lbs when i decided to give up the cigs that was the 2nd april this year. i posted a similar question to you and received a lot of support. Almost 4 months later i have lost a further 17 lbs AND FEEL GREAT! I am still getting some cravings, no longer on the nicotine patches but still using the gum i am finally starting to find it a bit easier.

Best advice i got at the time was to put all my focus into exercise whitch i done, I took cycling and have really improved puting in regular rides now of up to 70miles. I also keep a set of dumbells in the living room for when i got the craving in the evening

Good Luck

So true! Exercise really helps, especially since even after being quit for a just a few days, you'll already be able to feel the difference in your breathing and endurance! While I was smoking, I could only run for a minute or two at 5.0 mph and even that would have me wheezing and gasping for breath (the asthma doesn't help). After being quit only 4 days, I jogged a whole mile at 4.5 mph. I was breathy but wasn't wheezing and didn't need my inhaler :)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your answers everyone. Those are really helpful. I'll going to take a look at this thread from time to time for some reminders.

I got to admit though that right now I'm experiencing some mood changes & I tend to get irritated easily which I hope it will go away soon.
  • Moxie42
    Options
    Yeah, that's normal unfortunately. They say the third day is the worst and if you can get through that one, it should get at least a little easier. If it's more than you can handle and you're not opposed to quitting smoking aids, those really help curb the irritability. I used the patches the first time I quit and they really helped.