When you feel like you have hit a wall. Low Carb/EMTWL

Options
navydentalchic
navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
Hello! This is my 4th week of low carb and I have been emtwl for a few weeks now. I have felt great (slow weight loss, but I expected it, I am only 11 pounds away from goal) but losing. But this week suddenly I have hit a wall. Fatigued, no motivation, and my body just wants to sleep all the time. As I am typing this at work I am feeling like I want to lay my head on this keybord. Has anyone else experienced this?

I do Insanity 3 days a week (or Turbo Fire, or run), basically some kind of cardio for an hour a day. I also do weight training 3 days a week and on occasion go for a run afterwards. I go to bed between 8-9 pm and get up at 3amo workout because I have to be at work by 615-630am. I am a mommy and wife and I found this is th only time for me due to something always coming up when I get off of work.

Just want to see if anyone has felt this on occasion so I don't feel so alone :). Thanks!

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely normal to feel tired and fatigued. If you read through the stickies under What to expect when upping calories, you will find some more information there.
    No worries-this too shall pass
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    been there! agree with Noor, that sounds similar to what i experienced a month in. I've been pretty drained this week as well but sometimes it just happens and it has nothing to do with em2wl, it has to do with how much raw energy it takes to be a wonder woman :)
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Also, how low carb are you eating? You should have at least some carbs even if it is coming from fruit or veg. No carbs can also do a doozy on your energy level.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You have several reasons there to be tired. Many of us have gone through a fatigue phase as our bodies have adjusted to EM2WL. I hit one in week five that lasted roughly 2 1/2 weeks! Also, I work out in the mornings - 5am. Same reason - kids - and I run a daycare! When I hit my fatigue phase I just could NOT get out the door at 5:00am. I ended up taking a week and a half off from working out. My energy returned and I'm back to my morning workouts this week!

When was the last time you had a rest week or two from working out? Is it possible that now might be a good time for one? Also, I second HeidoHoMom's thoughts on the low-carbs. How low are you talking? It's possible you might need a bit more to help you get through your workouts.

Anyways, you are definitely not alone. Hang in there!
  • navydentalchic
    Options
    Also, how low carb are you eating? You should have at least some carbs even if it is coming from fruit or veg. No carbs can also do a doozy on your energy level.

I get between 20-30 net carbs. All from veggies. I also throw in a muffin in a minute about every other day. I was thinking about raising up the carbs a bit, but I am debating because I am filipino lol grew up with rice and afraid to be tempted
  • navydentalchic
    Options
    You have several reasons there to be tired. Many of us have gone through a fatigue phase as our bodies have adjusted to EM2WL. I hit one in week five that lasted roughly 2 1/2 weeks! Also, I work out in the mornings - 5am. Same reason - kids - and I run a daycare! When I hit my fatigue phase I just could NOT get out the door at 5:00am. I ended up taking a week and a half off from working out. My energy returned and I'm back to my morning workouts this week!

When was the last time you had a rest week or two from working out? Is it possible that now might be a good time for one? Also, I second HeidoHoMom's thoughts on the low-carbs. How low are you talking? It's possible you might need a bit more to help you get through your workouts.

Anyways, you are definitely not alone. Hang in there!

I am glad to hear I am not the only one. I havent taken off working out for more than two days since November. I even did a lot of high intensity thruogh the holidays. That doesn't sound like a bad Idea. I couldn't get out of bed this morning, and other than my softball game sunday, I may try taking a few days to see how I feel. It is hard to sit still, but I think I am ready for a short break lol
  • navydentalchic
    Options
    Noor, I will check them out. This just isn't like me. My hubby is usually the one falling asleep on the couch after work. I passed out before 7 last night sitting with him. I hope this passes soon...
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    20-30 grams is very low IMO. You need carbs to fuel your workouts.
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You are working out every day with cardio AND strength training 3x/wk!! That burns TONS of fuel. 20-30 net carbs is not enough to sustain your energy levels.

I'm a big fan of lower carb eating, but your exercise level puts you in the 7-21 hours of strenuous exercising per week using Scobby's calculator.

I suggest you go to Scooby's TDEE calculator, plug in your numbers and use those for the calorie amount (if you haven't already). Then change your macros in MFP to 45 pro/25 carb/30 fat and eat that amount of carbs each day! That will still be low carb given what you burn!

I bet you'll feel like a new woman!:smile:
  • mgall86
    mgall86 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am posting because I am feeling the exact same way right now! I have been doing EM2WL for 6 weeks now and for the past 4 or 5 days I have been feeling so TIRED! I have zero motivation to work out. I just feel like I am exhausted and wore out all the time. I have been doing strength training 4x/week, and doing 45 minutes of cardio (mostly walking) 3-4x/week.
    It's kinda nice to know I am not the only one who has hit a wall. I can only hope it doesn't last too long! Good luck to you!
  • HeidiHoMom
    Options
    I am posting because I am feeling the exact same way right now! I have been doing EM2WL for 6 weeks now and for the past 4 or 5 days I have been feeling so TIRED! I have zero motivation to work out. I just feel like I am exhausted and wore out all the time. I have been doing strength training 4x/week, and doing 45 minutes of cardio (mostly walking) 3-4x/week.
    It's kinda nice to know I am not the only one who has hit a wall. I can only hope it doesn't last too long! Good luck to you!

I think everyone hits that wall around 6 weeks in. So it sounds like you are on the right track!
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    20-30 grams is very low IMO. You need carbs to fuel your workouts.

def second this!! that is waaay low. yes and possibly try giving yourself a little break. you are doing/accomplishing a LOT...(being a Mother, wife, full-time 'worker', and working out so much).