HELP ME - Do i need to eat more calories?

tonyacpa
tonyacpa Posts: 7 Member
HELP ME! I have gained 10 pounds since I started My fitness pal at the request of my doctor. My calorie goal is 1200 but my net calories are often below 0. This is because I play tennis every day for 2 to 3 hours in addition to other activities. One Saturday I played 3 hr 45 minutes singles which showed around a 2000 calorie benefit. Usually the calorie benefit from tennis is anywhere from 600 to 1200. Does this mean I am supposed to eat these calories?

Quite honestly, I had given up because I keep gaining weight. I started on May 14 and worked it till Jul 10 when I gave up.

Please explain what this net calorie thing means.

btw...I eat very healthy.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Yes you definitely need to eat more.. basically when you eat right now your body is storing all of the food and your burning whatever is left over (usually muscle and some fat).. since you are netting 0 calories your body has absolutely no calories for your daily functions.. you should probably read some of the stickies, get what your BMR and TDEE numbers should be and then start eating at what your comfortable at.. but ya you should be netting above 1200 (or whatever your BMR is)
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    As pp already said. You need to eat. You need to fuel your body. With these high burns and you netting 0 you are putting your body in a difficult place, Your body thinks you are in a major famine and holds onto EVERYTHING you are putting in. If you need your body well, it will let go of the unwanted lbs willingly. But first your body needs to learn, that it can trust you, that you will be eating properly.
    Please read through the stickies. I think, if you have done low calories for a long time, a reset would be the right thing for you to do. So your metabolism gets revved up again.
    If you have questions give us a shout
  • tonyacpa
    I am apparently new to the sites and have a lot to learn. Are the stickies people's posts?

What are Resets, Cuts, TDEE numbers? I think BMR is metabolic rate.

Thank you so much for your response!!!!

Both of the responses are so helpful and are giving me some direction when I have felt helpless.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    I am apparently new to the sites and have a lot to learn. Are the stickies people's posts?

What are Resets, Cuts, TDEE numbers? I think BMR is metabolic rate.

Thank you so much for your response!!!!

Both of the responses are so helpful and are giving me some direction when I have felt helpless.
    Stickies are the pinned posts
    There you will find a lot of the terms explained as well
    BMR=Basic Metabolic rate(amount of cals you need to just exist)
    TDEE=the amount of calories you burn daily
    CUT=10-15% of your TDEE, this is the amount you should be eating to lose weight
    Reset=setting your metabolism new after low calorie dieting. Getting your body used again to burn more calories
  • tonyacpa
    thanks...I found some videos on Utube that helped a lot too

appreciate all your help!