Deadlifts, what am I doing wrong?

Options
stfriend
stfriend Posts: 256 Member
I began NROWL4W a couple weeks ago doing regular deadlifts. I was getting slight back aches , like when you've been moving heavy boxes all day. Then someone mentioned the romanian kind since I'm not even close to using 45lb plates yet. I'm using a 45lb Olympic bar and I can semi-easily get it up to 55lbs, though I did try 65 today. However, I'm still feeling it in my back, even at 55. Not huge pains, but again like I've spent the day moving boxes. Is it my form? Should I back off for now? Is this even normal?

Replies

• NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Well my back has muscle soreness after deadlifts and I thought that was normal, just like sore quads after doing some squats. Is that what you mean? I'll be interested to see what others say! :smile:
  • stfriend
    Options
    Well my back has muscle soreness after deadlifts and I thought that was normal, just like sore quads after doing some squats. Is that what you mean? I'll be interested to see what others say! :smile:

It isn't that kind of soreness, though I get that too. Maybe I need some more core work.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    How are you doing them? Are you propping the bar up somehow? If it's on the floor you are going to low. It should be about mid-shin. Start like you are at the bottom of a squat, thigh-bones slightly lower than parallel to the floor. Stick your belly and your boobs out. Lift with your legs exclusively until the bar gets to your knees then start standing up with both your legs and back.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a form issue to me, specifically that you are trying to start the lift with the bar too far away from your body. You should be dragging it up pretty close to your shins. I would check some form videos so you can see what it should look like.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    OP, use plates on either end of the bar to get the oly bar to the right height. or if you want to build up negative lifting karma by using the squat rack for something else, use the sides of the squat rack to prop up the bare oly bar.

also please please do NOT stick your belly out. your core should always be tight to help you stabilize. also the bar should always be in contacts

check out these videos by mark rippetoe that will show you how to get into the proper position for the lift and what your form should be like. also during the lift, he bar should be touching your legs and shins. wear long pants on deadlift day :wink:

set up : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA
    adjusting during your set : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql-N9hAuxNs&feature=relmfu
    another from rippetoe : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQhXwZsm6ug

if you dont have the necessary flexibility yet in your hips and ankles, then try taking a wider stance and gradually moving your feet in as you get more strength/flexibility
  • stfriend
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! I spotted several things I was doing wrong from what you all described. I definitely need to get the bar closer to my legs and keep my stomach tight. I'll keep those things in mind next workout. :happy:

ETA: I'll make sure to watch those videos too!
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I've also found that I had more back issues with DLs if I felt like I was "pulling it up" with my arms. When I focused on my heels on the ground and driving up with my legs, it felt like my arms were suddenly just holding the weight, not straining with it.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I read in a mag to keep bar close to your shins like you're shaving your legs! Ha! Always works for me :-). Oh, I didn't pay attention-are u female? Either way, u get the pic. Lol.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    I following nrol4w as well..currently working thru nrol4life! I like the straight leg deadlifts and the key is to keep the bar VERY CLOSE TO YOUR BODY all the way up. That should eliminate back pain! Good luck! Love the program!!
  • stfriend
    Options
    I've also found that I had more back issues with DLs if I felt like I was "pulling it up" with my arms. When I focused on my heels on the ground and driving up with my legs, it felt like my arms were suddenly just holding the weight, not straining with it.

I've been focusing on this and it really does make sense! I remember when I worked at Walmart years ago we were told to lift with our legs, not our backs.
  • stfriend
    Options
    I read in a mag to keep bar close to your shins like you're shaving your legs! Ha! Always works for me :-). Oh, I didn't pay attention-are u female? Either way, u get the pic. Lol.

Yep female :smile: . I have been making sure to keep it as close to my shins as possible.
  • stfriend
    Options
    I following nrol4w as well..currently working thru nrol4life! I like the straight leg deadlifts and the key is to keep the bar VERY CLOSE TO YOUR BODY all the way up. That should eliminate back pain! Good luck! Love the program!!

Did you follow it completely? I've got 2 more regular workouts and then the AMRAPs before I finish stage 1. I've been looking over the exercises in 2 and some I think I might change a bit. For instance, I cannot seem to do lunges properly. Perhaps its my weight right now, or who knows what. I have a hard time balancing and can't imagine doing it with one leg on a step. I'll give it a shot but may just do squats or something. I also don't have a box for the deadlifts so I'll be doing regular ones (now that I know how :happy: ). And I know someone explained it to me, but I still can't see the point in doing dumbbell rows on one leg. I may give that one a try, though.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

Yep female :smile: . I have been making sure to keep it as close to my shins as possible.
    actually not as close as possible, the bar should always be touching your shins, knees and thighs. no exceptions. that is the correct form.

consequently i always wear long pants on deadlift day
  • stfriend
    Options

actually not as close as possible, the bar should always be touching your shins, knees and thighs. no exceptions. that is the correct form.

Gotcha. I can usually keep the bar against my legs going up but coming back down is a challenge. For some reason I want to move forward more. I'll keep working on it, though, it stops in NROLW stage 2.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options

Did you follow it completely? I've got 2 more regular workouts and then the AMRAPs before I finish stage 1. I've been looking over the exercises in 2 and some I think I might change a bit. For instance, I cannot seem to do lunges properly. Perhaps its my weight right now, or who knows what. I have a hard time balancing and can't imagine doing it with one leg on a step. I'll give it a shot but may just do squats or something. I also don't have a box for the deadlifts so I'll be doing regular ones (now that I know how :happy: ). And I know someone explained it to me, but I still can't see the point in doing dumbbell rows on one leg. I may give that one a try, though.

I followed the book completely two times - I did make some substitions but that's ok. The step ups are a killer but you'll have a fab butt afterwards! I've moved onto the new book "life" and have really noticed some new definition in my shoulders and arms. Nice for summer!!
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

Gotcha. I can usually keep the bar against my legs going up but coming back down is a challenge. For some reason I want to move forward more. I'll keep working on it, though, it stops in NROLW stage 2.

yeah i think that's one of the reasons rippetoe suggests resetting after every rep. also i could be wrong, but i may be more important that you keep contact during the lift and not during the put down. in fact you could technically be a badass and drop the weight once you've lifted it :laugh: your gym might not appreciate it though
  • stfriend
    Options

yeah i think that's one of the reasons rippetoe suggests resetting after every rep. also i could be wrong, but i may be more important that you keep contact during the lift and not during the put down. in fact you could technically be a badass and drop the weight once you've lifted it :laugh: your gym might not appreciate it though

LOL, currently my gym is in my garage and my exercise buddy is a small black and white rabbit (he's waiting for his house to be built). He probably wouldn't care for the noise of me dropping it. My luck it would end up on my foot. :laugh:
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Watch your form and you may need to strengthen your core. I used to do powerlifting and experienced alot of back pain after a few years. I hav ebeen working much more on core which has helped. Tight hamstrings may also be a culprit.