RW 30 Day Transformation? or ISWF Whole 30?

Options
RGroenland
RGroenland Posts: 27 Member
Hello Everyone,
My boyfriend and I are hoping to start with a 30 day challenge to kick start our Paleo/Primal lifestyle.
Has anyone read both Robb Wolf's 30 day transformation and It Starts With Food/Whole 30?
We would like a solid program to start with that is fairly easy and straight forward to follow.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Replies

• GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I haven't read RW's 30 Day Transformation, but I did read The Paleo Solution and when I started Paleo, did his 30 day challenge from what he said in that. I assume it would be similar to the 30 Day transformation.

I've also done a Whole30, about 3 month after going paleo. In my opinion, you'll probably have an easier time doing the 30 day transformation first. They're very similar programs, but the Whole30 is a lot more strict (sugar and booze wise) and I think it would be easier to do if you were already used to mostly eating this way.

Whichever one you decide to do, I highly HIGHLY suggest meal planning for each week and making sure you bring approved snacks with you when you go out so you don't cave to the temptations. It might take the first few weeks for you to figure out how much food you will need, as you won't have the calories from grains, legumes and dairy to bulk up your meals.

I've posted this in the support group a few times, but this is a good timeline that describes what to expect, no matter which challenge you choose to accept.
    http://whole9life.com/2012/06/the-whole30-timeline/

Good luck!
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I haven't read 30 Day Transformatio, but I first went Paleo with The Paleo Solution and saw great results. After two months of that, I did a Whole 30, thinking it would be easy. It still felt like a big change and I saw even more results. With the Whole 30, I was really able to pinpoint exactly how certain foods affected my body. There are Whole30 groups starting often on Facebook, and they're nice for support.

I think the question comes down to how strict you want it to be. There really isn't much wiggle room on a Whole30!

Another option if you're interested in easing into things a bit more with different levels (and not quite so cold turkey) is the 21 Day Sugar Detox:http://the21daysugardetox.com/.
  • RGroenland
    RGroenland Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies! Very helpful.
    I have read the "timeline" before. Looks very interesting :)
  • CWatermelon
    CWatermelon Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am starting the Whole30 today! I have essentially given up everything but dairy and I already had reduced dairy to a couple days of week. I can do this! If you want to friend me, it would be great to have friends doing the challenge!
  • treatgirl
    treatgirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am going to start a Whole 30 this week when I get my copy of ISWF.

I've been primal since April, but have continued to drink at the weekends and sometimes in the week (My excuse: I'm British!). While I've had really good results I'm hoping a focused month will mean I'm more moderate on the other side and give me a real boost to getting back into exercise etc. Especially with the Olympics starting! I'll send you a request.
  • Desmonema
    Desmonema Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I started the 30 day transformation about 3 weeks ago, but I kind of started to change the program while it proceeded. I was strict about it for the first 2 weeks.... lovely recipes and everything, BUT: it is really expernsive and if you're living alone, you are always left with leftovers (even if you buy less ingredients). On top of that I was hardly able to fit the 'prescribed' meals into my daily calorie allowance and gained some weight! So now I just pick a few recipes from the plan and try them during the week, the other meals I plan myself in paleo-style. But anyway the program gave me all the good blogs on the web where the best recipes are and some really good ideas how to plan the day!