too young?

Options
christine24t
christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
I'll make this short. There is a really cute guy at my work who I thought was flirting with me for a while. Whenever we pass each other in the hallway, we smile and say hi, and if he comes into the break room when I'm there he'll ask me how I am, etc.

The other day, when he got to work, he said, "hello, young lady, how is your day?"

Does him saying "young lady" show that he thinks I am too young for him (if he even likes me at all, which could very well be no, he might just be nice to everyone)? I'm guessing he is between 25 and 30 years old, and I am 22.

Also...this is embarrassing but I do not know his name. I think he told me a long time but I completely spaced it. Is there a polite way to ask?

Replies

• Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    The age difference isn't that wide. I don't know why you would be too young for him. I would just continue to be friendly and talk to him and see where it goes from there. As for not knowing his name, I forget people's names ALL the time. I just go right out and ask them. Say something like, "Sorry I'm totally spacing on your name. What is it?" Unless he has a big ego, he shouldn't get offended because you asked him ONCE what his name was.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I am thinking he is just a friendly, polite guy. I have those kinds of interactions with most people I work with through out the day. I wouldn't take the young lady thing any way other then an new way to say hi. He might not know your name either and just subsituted the young lady in.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I'd say something like "well hello there Senior Citizen, what's your name again?" :bigsmile:

And no, I dont think the young lady means anything apart from he doesn't know your name either!! Or, he's just being nice. :bigsmile:

Talk to him. Flirt back. :flowerforyou:
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    People who forget names will call someone young lady or some other friend salutation. I would ask him again for a refresher what his name again was. Let the flirting begin!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    It means nothing,it is a term of endearment on par with saying "Miss"or similar.
    Say hi back and ask his name,then make sure he knows yours if there is a chance he doesn`t.
    Don`t make it complicated.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    One guy I dated called me "kid" or "kiddo" and he was only a year older than me. It's just a term of endearment and it's hard to judge exactly what his intentions/feelings are.

I would ask a couple co workers for his name before trying to get it directly from him.

The interactions sound quite normal overall, you could always try ramping up the flirting. He might just be waiting for a signal from you.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Men rarely think women are too young for them. Trust me.... But they are worried that some women may think they are too old for them. He is subconsciously looking for a signal from you that the age difference is not an issue. The ideal response would have been to chuckle and introduce yourself: "Young lady? Ha! By the way, I'm _____. Didn't we meet some weeks ago?"

I would not say, ala Anna, "Hello Senior Citizen.... etc." Trust me.

Now that the moment has passed, however, just say the following the next time you see him: "Hello young man!" Then keep talking to him. I'll be shocked if he doesn't ask you out on the spot.

--P
  • Prahasaurus
    Options
    One guy I dated called me "kid" or "kiddo" and he was only a year older than me. It's just a term of endearment and it's hard to judge exactly what his intentions/feelings are.

Were you wearing that fox costume at the time? Cuz, that might explain it...

--P
  • Prahasaurus
    Options
    Another option was to reply: "Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy, but here' my number, so call me, maybe?"

Unfortunately, this won't work now, as you've already met. Plus, he might be gay.

--P
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

I would not say, ala Anna, "Hello Senior Citizen.... etc." Trust me.

Erm Why? Don't men between 25-30 have a sense of humour?? :huh:
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

Were you wearing that fox costume at the time? Cuz, that might explain it...

--P

Nope.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    No, he does not think you are too young.

Just be real and ask his name. Be cute and feminine around and flirt, but make sure the flirting is not so subtle.

Also, this depends upon your job. Some people advise against romance in the workplace. If you need to stick around this job for a while, maybe think about this aspect.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options

Just be real and ask his name. Be cute and feminine around and flirt, but make sure the flirting is not so subtle.

Also, this depends upon your job. Some people advise against romance in the workplace. If you need to stick around this job for a while, maybe think about this aspect.

I always say don't *kitten* where you eat....
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options

Your saying is a pretty good rule, but some jobs are more conducive to having a workplace romance. If if it is a low level job that you really don't care about, it could be a worthwhile possibility. Because if the romance goes sour, one person might have to leave the company. And in this economy, finding a new job isn't easy. :frown:
  • TheKitsune6
    Options

Your saying is a pretty good rule, but some jobs are more conducive to having a workplace romance. If if it is a low level job that you really don't care about, it could be a worthwhile possibility. Because if the romance goes sour, one person might have to leave the company. And in this economy, finding a new job isn't easy. :frown:

True, but that's only an issue if you work directly with whomever you're trying to date, right? Obviously she doesn't have a direct working relationship for this guy or she'd know his name (unless he is new? Please correct me if I am wrong). If you guys don't have to talk everyday and don't have to work with each other why not go for it. The way it's presented sounds more like a "we are in the same building" type scenario.
  • christine24t
    Options
    So I think I figured out his name! I asked another co-worker.
    True, but that's only an issue if you work directly with whomever you're trying to date, right? Obviously she doesn't have a direct working relationship for this guy or she'd know his name (unless he is new? Please correct me if I am wrong). If you guys don't have to talk everyday and don't have to work with each other why not go for it. The way it's presented sounds more like a "we are in the same building" type scenario.

No, we work in different parts at the same company. Don't interact much at all.

I hate that I have to wear an ugly uniform at work! So not cute... :(
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options

Okay,then the next time he talks or teases you call him by name...he will know that you were interested enough to find out what it was.
  • christine24t
    Options

Okay,then the next time he talks or teases you call him by name...he will know that you were interested enough to find out what it was.

First I have to confirm it is actually his name because my coworker wasn't 100% sure!
  • christine24t
    Options
    I found out his name for real but I couldn't bring myself to call him by it when we talked today... Maybe tomorrow!
  • Turtlehurdle
    Turtlehurdle Posts: 412
    Options
    My husband (wait what?) is 26 and I am 33. Age is just a number unless you are a minor then.... yeah no.