I did it!

Options
lablovr108
lablovr108 Posts: 576 Member
Tonight, I fully jogged my first 5K race, no walking.

I was on week 7 of c25k last October when I fractured my ankle. I fractured the same ankle in a different spot in February. The doctor gave me the clear to start jogging again at the beginning of May. My goal was to run a race that my cousin puts on called Friday Night Lights. That race was going to be July 20. Plenty of time to train I thought.

I restarted c25k, and it was more difficult than the first time because I hadn't done any exercise for three months. It would have been so easy for me to give up, say it wasn't worth it, say I was afraid of getting hurt again, I could have come up with a number of excuses, but I didn't. My training didn't go as well as I had hoped, and up until now, I've only jogged 20 consecutive minutes since being back.

Tonight, however, that all changed. Tonight was Friday Night Lights. I told myself I would jog the first mile, and then if I had to walk a bit, I would. I jogged the first mile and felt great. Ok, on to mile 2. Completed mile 2 and still felt good. At that point, I decided unless something drastic happend, I was going to jog the entire 5K. And jog I did! It was slow, 34:35, but I JOGGED!! No walking at all. I even sprinted the end of it, smiling the entire time. I met my goal. My dad, sister and other family members were there to cheer me on. And once I finished, I got to watch my mom enter the stadium, and I had enough energy to give her that final push and run the last bit with her as well.

I can't believe what a rush it was to jog the entire thing. I'm already looking forward to my next race!

Replies

• Jaccyber
    Jaccyber Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    So So Wonderful!! Super job and you got to share the moment with family.... so awesome.
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well done :drinker:
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Great job - and a great time, too. Such a good feeling, isn't it!
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    What a great story. Congratulations! :drinker:
  • HeyGrlHey
    HeyGrlHey Posts: 640
    Options
    congratulations!! I cannot wait until I am able to complete an entire 5K!!!

HgH:drinker:
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Incredible!!!
    I am also in W7...5k's are scheduled in my area...Have been thinking about trying (jogging) one...Your story gives me incentive... :happy:
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

With that said, that's a kick in the butt... Had I stuck with it, Id be saying the same in less than a week.

Let this be a lesson: Don't quit! Even after you've achieved something, start reaching for the next.
  • godsrose
    godsrose Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! Congrats to you! I know that is an awesome feeling. :smile:
  • krawles
    krawles Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Way to go, lablovr! Sounds like you might be addicted to the endorphins. Were your labs there to greet you?