Non-Muslim celebrating Ramadan, need tips !

Options
flipinjister
flipinjister Posts: 1 Member
Salam everyone !
I am a non-Muslim but very interested in Islam and a majority of the people I hang out with are Muslim. I know its day 3 of Ramadan but I have decided (starting tomorrow), that I will fast as well for spiritual reasons and to learn more about this great religion. Last night I was invited to Iftar, I ate dates, soup, samosas, and some homemade pizza. Although it was yummy, I felt like this was too much on my stomach. I usually just eat salads and fruits and was wondering if you guys had any tips for me since it will be my first time fasting. Thank you and good luck to you all !

Replies

• Elzubair
    Elzubair Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    salam
    if you looking for nutrition tips you may check this video . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spKdHSauf-E
    anything else you may ask :)
    Wish you a happy fasting
  • kimmbird
    kimmbird Posts: 55
    Options
    My normal braking fast was just like what u had and worse...full of carbs, which I hv learned doesn't work for me! So, I hv made a lot of changes this Ramadan and doing much better.

For me, I suggest to keep your diet as close to normal. Add a pinch of salt in ea glass of water (if you eat a healthy natural low salt diet. Drink no less than 8 glass of liquid. For every caffeine drink, drink two glasses of non caff liquid to replace the water loss from caff. Keep up on your calories, but make sure they hare healthy and wholesome. For years, I hv had a wonderful spiritual experience and then forget what it was all about at the time to eat...thanks to God I hv come around, it took me awhile, but carbs can really mess with my appetite.

Even, my 24 yo son has noticed such a difference...for the first time ever (which many people do this) I drink and pause a couple of mins. Nibble an end of a date. Then eat a light soup and salad. Pause drink again. Go pray. Then my hubby and I sit together drinking a glass or two of water, we then wait for that water to go down so, there is room for our higher protein meal. I wait an hour b4 I start drinking again. if this sounds more like a ritual, well it is. It is a process to take care of my body, the vessel of my soul.

Some people may disagree with me, and that is ok..this is what I hv learned to do for my body and for an even more awesome Ramadan :D

Kim