Almost 3,100 cals over goal 2day... /:

Options
xsaribarix
xsaribarix Posts: 26 Member
Every day I eat normal meals and snacks and then at about 6:30-7ish pm I binge - like 1,000s of cals! Any idea why? I'd like to maintain my 12 lb. weight loss and lose even more, but already I've gained 3 lbs. back and am still gaining! HELP! :(

Replies

• betrayalunknown
    Options
    Well, I'm assuming you're binging at home.

Solution to this problem is stop bringing "binge-able" food items home. It really is just that simple. If you don't purchase them, you won't have them around the house, and you won't binge on them!

Put post-its and signs on your doors, mirrors, fridge, cabinets, etc. Hand-write reinforcing messages on them, encouraging you to go for a walk right that instant to avoid binging. On these notes, remind yourself of your progress and remind yourself how much longer the journey is ahead. But make sure you aren't just writing them just to write them. You have to believe in yourself. We believe in you. So prove it to yourself; Prove how strong you are and how much healthier you want to become.

However, if you find yourself binging for whatever reason.... stop after the first snack. You "did the damage" so to speak. Don't have that mentality where you tell yourself, "oh well, I started... might as well continue and start over again tomorrow." No. This is destructive. Catch yourself before you fall too deep.

Good luck xo
  • xsaribarix
    xsaribarix Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it sounds nice to say don't buy stuff and I could do that fine if I lived alone, but sadly I live with my folks and brother who are not trying to lose weight and they buy/eat all kinds of crap which not only do they stock the pantry and fridges - yes there's 2! - with constantly, but they always eat ice cream, cake, cookies, pizza, microwave s'mores, etc. in front of me at night when we watch TV and I'm trying to be good and just have a cup of tea it's so hard watching them, and then my aunt just sabotages me by bringing big garbage bags of salted snack mini bags (sun chips, smart food, pretzels, cheez-its, etc.) to the house where my parents "hide" it from me but in plain sight by their bed! This, the same aunt that brings 4 cakes to every family get together and leaves us with 3 at the end of the night because we're the "not watching out weight family" except for me but she sabotages me so it doesn't count. *takes a breath* so you see why it's hard to watch my sugar and carbs like my doctor said with all this temptation coming in the door that I can't just ignore unless I go live on the moon? Willpower alone will only take me so far, sadly I've done this dance before… :(
  • roguestates
    roguestates Posts: 223
    Options
    but they always eat ice cream, cake, cookies, pizza, microwave s'mores, etc. in front of me at night when we watch TV and I'm trying to be good and just have a cup of tea it's so hard watching them, and then my aunt just sabotages me by bringing big garbage bags of salted snack mini bags

It's hard to know how you're eating the rest of the day without opening up your diary... but maybe take a walk when they're all watching TV? Or if that's the only "quality" family time you have, take a walk after. It will help you burn some calories and clear your mind. Apparently, this is as much mental as it is physical for you, especially with a sabotaging aunt. You can't stop her from bringing things, but you can prevent yourself from consuming them.
  • emmoen1
    emmoen1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    What I found that has helped me is to write little quotes that reminds me how I feel after I binge and placing them around the house especially in places where there is food... on the refrigerator, on pantry, and on that go to box of goodies. When I read the note I remember and it helps me put it back. Maybe this will help you too. Good Luck
  • adeleearls
    adeleearls Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What about your blood sugar? Perhaps some of it is that your blood sugar is dropping in the evening and you're looking for that pick-me-up high that food can give? I know at night when I begin to feel tired but there's still so much to do, I often eat even though I'm not exactly hungry and in my mind, I know I don't want to. If you're not doing this already, try to have a dinner that has a good carb/fat/protein blend to stabilize your blood sugar and then in the evening about 2 hours before bed, have a snack (that you've already pre-detemined within your food/diet goals) and have that. If you already have it set - like let's say 1 cup milk and two graham crackers for example - it might help you feel more satisfied but also reduce the need to overeat?

Those are some of the things I do when I have trouble controlling myself at night and staying on task. I hope it helps you too.

GL!
  • Aurorainthenorth
    Aurorainthenorth Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How about having a small healthy snack when you are watching TV with your family? You can eat and they can eat and you would be eating something healthy!
  • hijude57
    hijude57 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Try keeping your hands busy with sewing, knitting, computer games, crosswords etc. I play solitaire and watch tv at the same time.
  • tamlynne32
    Options
    I know its different for everyone. I have the same problem. My hard time comes around 7:00 and of course thats the time I want to not eating anymore. The only thing I find that works for me is to just go upstairs to bed. I don't go to bed, I read a book, crochet, play on the itouch, play a game with my daughter, clean the bathroom, really anything to keep busy but stay UPSTAIRS. Thats my main thing is to stay upstairs. We even still have a baby gate at the top of the steps (my daughter is 6) but we keep it up there and I lock it. Just for another barrier I have to go through to get back down to the food. Its more a mental thing. Its a battle though, I sit up there and I fight with myself, I get so mad cause I am hungry and I know I shouldn't come eat and I get so mad that I am hungry.. why when you eat 1800 calories in a day are you hungry anyway.. I am just disgusted in myself. But you just have to take one day at a time. My daughter birthday party was yesterday and I did horrible. I can't even imagine how many thousands of calories I went over and I swore I would do better today but then I wake up and have a piece of cake and a piece of pizza for breakfast WTH! So I walked 2 miles.. my back is killing me and I am tired but I made myself do it to try and work some of it off and I will force myself to go upstairs at 7 tonight so I don't eat tonight. Please feel free to add me as a friend and PM me anytime. I am right here with you and we can help each other through this!
  • angeldove85
    Options
    Why are you binging? Figure that out and work on it and the binging will stop.

I realized I binge when I'm anxious, bored, depressed, etc- any real emotion. I made a deal with myself that I know I really want to lose weight and get into shape, so I will not eat if I'm any of those emotions, I will only eat when I'm hungry and/or it fits into my meal plan/calorie intake.

No it's not easy- I would do the same thing you do: binge during the evening until I realized I was usually anxious about what I had to do the next day. It's now a bad habit to be anxious during the evening- even when there's no reason to be- so I just keep myself busy doing stuff and I DO NOT eat when I'm anxious. I know once I started, I won't stop.

Find some activities to take the place of eating at this time and stick with them. No exceptions, no snacking, nothing- avoid the kitchen at all costs. It's hard work but it DOES WORK.
  • angeldove85
    Options
    Try keeping your hands busy with sewing, knitting, computer games, crosswords etc. I play solitaire and watch tv at the same time.

I enjoy playing games on the computer during the evening-- as long as I have made sure to do the chores and exercising I need to every day. I play at a site called www.king.com and it's a lot of fun :)