Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

carbs -fibre?

Fiona_Bullough
Fiona_Bullough Posts: 138 Member
Hi guys, I'm new here so sorry if this has been asked a million times! I'm low carbing, not following any specific diet. Just try to stick to around 60 carbs but sometimes go over this.

I tend to just count the carbs on mfp but im now wondering if I should be subtracting the fibre? For example, a litre carb pitta has 16 g carbs so this is how I've counted it but it has 9 g fibre so should I count this as 7 carbs or 16? Many thanks.

Replies

• Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Hey, it depends where you live. People in the US or those using US products need to subtract fibre from the Carbs to get the NET Carb count. If you live in the UK of use UK brands you DO NOT need to do this, it is already done so the carb count is already NET.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Hey, it depends where you live. People in the US or those using US products need to subtract fibre from the Carbs to get the NET Carb count. If you live in the UK of use UK brands you DO NOT need to do this, it is already done so the carb count is already NET.
    . Of course since we have folks from both continents adding foods to the database it creates a hopelessly messy situation
  • Fiona_Bullough
    Fiona_Bullough Posts: 138 Member
    Ahhh, I see!! that makes sense now!! But what if it is a US product? Minus the fibre I guess? I think I'll just keep going as I am. Thanks for your help :)
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    . Of course since we have folks from both continents adding foods to the database it creates a hopelessly messy situation

Yeah it does! Messy indeed...

I always try to look for the specific item I've bought from the UK supermarket ie: "Tesco Courgette" or "Asda Camambert" as you will get the UK value. If it's not on the database look for a similar product from another UK supermarket.