Calories for homemade foods

LioshaM
LioshaM Posts: 129 Member
Got a question. I've been cooking more to get away from the processed foods and the problem i'm having is trying to determine the correct calories for what I've made. So, I made some navy beans and I slowcooked with one small smoked turkey drumstick. I added too much water, so it's more like soup than a thick stew. How many calories should I be tracking with 1 cup? There are so many entries for navy bean soup. I also made a pot of collard greens also using smoked turkey leg (1) Again, how many calories? Also, since I've been eating beans and greens, it doesn't seem like i've been hitting my calories for the day. Fiber rich=full quicker and longer :(

Replies

• candicejn
    candicejn Posts: 458 Member
    I usually create my own recipes in the database when I have stuff like that. It's just so much easier, since I know exactly what I cooked with and how much of everything.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Hello!

If your making recipes at home, just use all the calorie counts on the packages.

Add it all up and so you have a total calorie count for the entire meal. Divide this by how many servings you are cutting it into.

From there just add a custom meal to your MFP database! :)

Mike
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    I cook a lot from scratch too and I find that the recipe builder here on MFP works really well for me! I rely on Livestrong.com for a lot of calorie counts so they're as consistent as possible.
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    I use the recipe builder for anything that I make at home that can't be figured out otherwise. It takes time at first, but after a while, you have your own little database set up and it gets easier.