Options
124»

Replies

• iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    New progress picture shows my curve pretty bad:

20130825_142352.jpg

I'm currently sitting at 25ish upper and 40ish lower, but I've never seen my upper curve look so pronounced! I think as I drop to lower bodyfat percentage, my spinal abnormalities are getting more obvious :-/

I think you look fine :) To us scoliosis-people, our eyes are trained to look for the signs (Shoulder blades, spine indentation, hipbones, etc.) but to the average person, they wouldn't notice anything off about this photo. Considering how high your degrees are, I thought you'd look a lot more crooked than this!

I also noticed weight gain/loss affects my scoliosis's appearance. When I am chubbier, I develop one chub-roll on my right side which makes the crookedness more obvious. Losing weight has helped that part. I also noticed that losing weight makes one of my hipbones jut out whereas the other one is more smooth.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Hello - 37 now, but they found mine in 4th grade, it's upper back and does both front-to-back & side-to-side. By the time I had my fusion (summer bwt 6 & 7th grade), it had gone from 10 degrees to 45+ (along w/ pain, headache, stomach issues and such forth). I had to wear a brace for about 6 months afterward (so totally sucked) and thankfully didn't have much back pain afterwards. Sadly the butchers at the hospital cut alot of nerves and I've lost feeling in many places on my body (right side of leg, whole back, stomach and left side) as well as traumatized me for life (PTSD) and gave me a doctor phobia.

Fast forward to early 20's they already dx'd me with arthritis, due to the skeleton deformities (left leg longer, hips offset, left ribcage pokes out in the front, ect) and then started the lower back pain. Oh yes, they left in the rods & screws. They are still there (which counts out lovely MIR's - LOL)

Now, I rarely get upper back pain, but still suffer from lower SI pain & hip pain (sactica). I'm now weight lifting although I do need to be careful with things like deadlifts & squats (squats cause back/shoulder pain on the left side due to were the bar sits). I want to go to a sports therapist, but the insurance doesn't cover it & I can't afford it out of pocket. I just don't do certain things that I know cause pain (crunches and similar moves, twisting the lower back, etc).
  • gjsmommy
    gjsmommy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    So happy to have found this group. I am 37 yrs old and was just diagnosed last week scoliosis. I am still learning about it and hope to learn alot more from this group. Is there anyone else here that was diagnosed as an adult?
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    So happy to have found this group. I am 37 yrs old and was just diagnosed last week scoliosis. I am still learning about it and hope to learn alot more from this group. Is there anyone else here that was diagnosed as an adult?

Hi gjsmommy,
    I just learned about 10 years ago at age of 53, that I had a curve. I went in for my bone density test and the guy doing it said, "do you know your spine is curved"? I did not know that. So, in later years, because my spine is a mess from neck down, I was having an MRI and low and behold. Hey, you have scoliosis. WOW, I was like "how the heck do you get this in old age, I thought that was a childhood thing"? I guess because my spine has been a mess since I was in my early 20's, it contributed to it.
    I am going next year to the University of San Francisco to see what if anything can be done. I had an appt already, but when the Doc came him, he informed me that I had severe scoliosis and he was not the right doc to see. Grrrrrrrr. But, a month before that visit I learned I need a hip replacement and am doing that end of Jan, so had decided the spine would wait anyway, I really just wanted to hear what they had to say about it.
    So maybe spring time 2014, I will go back and get the scoop.
    I wish you success in whatever route you take for yours. I have learned through the years from numerous Physical Therapy sessions, that movement is important, just have to be careful in the way we do move.
  • jrachel0
    jrachel0 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello!
    I'm 17 years old and just recently diagnosed with mild scoliosis on lower back last month.
    Two years ago, my back pains had started. Somehow, my memories started to fade away and hard time remembering things.
    I can't run as well since two years ago as well. Whenever I run my back hurts so much. But yeah, that pretty much summarize everything for now. heh. Oh yeah my doctor did not say anything about surgery. I don't really know how scoliosis works.
  • gqbananas
    gqbananas Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I have just spent the last half hour reading through all of your incredible, and equally challenging, stories. Some of which are so inspiring!

I was diagnosed with severe S curve scoliosis not long after my 13th birthday, fortunately, other than a few squashed muscles, nothing important enough was affected so, although my doctor recommended it, surgery it was not a must. I'm still monitored annually to check the curvature. Since then, my family and I have investigated and tried many alternative practises to deal with the pain and the aches, including physiotherapy, deep tissue massage and a lot of different exercises.

As my weight fluctuated throughout high school I found that the pain would change too. All my aches are definitely more pronounced when I am carrying a bit of extra weight, so that's one of the reasons I'm here- lose the pudge and keep the muscles strong. Currently, I do yoga and Pilates classes at least once a week and have managed to stretch my time between massage from 4 weeks to 8-10 weeks (over a 3 year period) to keep pain at a low. I have very, very recently started running and weight training but any other tips that have helped people I would be grateful to hear.

What I am most grateful though, above all things, is the support my family provide everyday; just knowing they're there is really the best treatment of all.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I'm 17 years old and just recently diagnosed with mild scoliosis on lower back last month.
    Two years ago, my back pains had started. Somehow, my memories started to fade away and hard time remembering things.
    I can't run as well since two years ago as well. Whenever I run my back hurts so much. But yeah, that pretty much summarize everything for now. heh. Oh yeah my doctor did not say anything about surgery. I don't really know how scoliosis works.

If your curve is mild, surgery will probably never come up for your case. You are probably done growing up which means your curve should be stable where it is :-)
  • rocky503
    rocky503 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    At 47 I have come to the realization I have an S curve. 15 years ago I pulled my righ s-i joint and had to get manipulation for the first time. After my pregnancy 11 years ago I saw my first Chiropractor who menitoned in passing almost I may have scolosis in my uppper back. Then about a month or so ago I went to see a new Chiropractor (for same s-i joint exacerbation) and he x-rayed my lower back and showed me that curve....now seeing a third chiropractor who also confirms I have an S curve scolosis. I blew it off the first time someone told me this since I was never dx earlier in life. I also have a left rib under my scapula that gives me trouble. I don't get low back pain on raidation down my legs. My main issue is muscle pain along my right side of my spine that moves up from my low back, pain in the upper middle of back right above my bra strap and some sternum tightness. I think I have just been able to compensate for a really long time and it hasn't been obivious since my shoulders are straight. But I always feel slight twisted like when I am in a downward dog poistion and I don't feel alinged.
    Recently the curve is making it's effects known to my body in geting my s-i joint back in working order. So my plan is to keep doing what I'm been doing and add in some swimming and pilates on my chrio doctor's suggestion.
    This experience has prompted me to be very watchful for my 10yo DD's development and I have had checked recently (she's straight now) will be keeping an eye on that as she grows.
  • harktosh
    harktosh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi! New to the group. I am 25 and was just recently diagnosed with mild scoliosis. According to the doctor, the most likely reason I have the curve is that my left leg is about 1 inch shorter than my right. It sets me off kilter and my body has tried to correct it for a long time, giving me my topsy turvy spine. Pretty weird it took them this long to figure it out...Anyway, I also have degenerative joint disease that affects most every joint in my body and facet arthritis in my back. I have experienced horrific back pain that has gotten worse over the last few years. Unfortunately, it makes me not want to do much of anything. Here I am though! I went through 2 months of physical therapy and it was agreed that losing some weight would help me with some of the pain.

Currently, I find that running is ridiculously hard. Everything pops and grinds on me and my back is never exactly happy about it. Weight lifting is easier on me. I guess I'm here to gather stories, information and tips on staying healthy with a crazy spine.
  • Twizzler14
    Options
    Hey, I'm new to the group. I'm 24 and was diagnosed with scoliosis back in middle school. I have an S curve and not sure of the degrees (haven't been to the doctor in several years.) I've struggled a lot with back pain over the years, but I'd say within the last 2 years it's eased up..still have constant aches from neck to lower back, but are only really noticeable when sitting or standing for long periods of time. I joined the gym recently and I've noticed significant pain reduction. I spend anywhere between 30min-1hr on the elliptical trainer then switch to the treadmill for a walk/jog for 2 miles. I also alternate days lifting weights. Going to stick to my routine and see where it takes me. I won't consider surgery until I'm older and it's unbearable.
  • rhompot25
    Options
    Hi everyone !

I was very recently diagnosed with a mild scoliosis , 15 degree angle.
    I was told its not serios , does not need treatment however my right shoulder blade is killing me and I am so sick of painkillers.
    Does anyone know any remedies or helpful advice for pain managment?
    Also I have a gym membership and would like to know which classes can I take or exersises do to thats ok for my spine.

Thanks in advance.

Reka
  • Bentnotbroken130
    Bentnotbroken130 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    MrsWendyQ wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Wow, I can't believe I've been on here for a few years now and just thought to look for a group of others like me!

I've had scoliosis since junior high. I've never been braced or had surgery. It was talked about a lot when I was young and I sometimes wish my parents would have went that route. I'm currently 34 (35 in a few days) and I have two boys. One pregnancy was more difficult than the other, but for the most part they were relatively uneventful despite what my chiropractor had predicted. I'm 5'3" and about 50lbs heavier than I probably should be. I don't know what my curvature degree is, honestly I think it's been awhile since that's been measured. It's an S curve and I have that very distinct shoulder drop. Nothing ever fits right. People always ask me what's wrong. I have to explain to my children all the time why this hurts or why they can't lean on me...I hate it!

I have a lot of pain in my lower back currently, left side just above my butt cheek. Also, my hips are very bothersome, my right knee is causing pain again, and my hamstrings on both legs are so tight that they have become a real pain in the neck! I see my chiropractor every other week and it's helped a lot. I don't do much more than that for pain...I don't like to take medication for it. I try to stretch.

I just don't know what to do for exercise! My doctor has said no running, jumping or anything jarring. I currently walk as much as possible (which sometimes isn't much because of the pain) I just don't know what to do? What has worked for you? I get so frustrated when I see people losing all kinds of weight and I want to be like that, then I remember I physically can't. I try not to let it bother me, but no one seems to know what this feels like!

We share the same story, this is a few years old if your still around feel free to friend me. 34, 2 kids, S curve same aches and pains I've found a few things that help