Coconut oil, no workouts, eat more

Options
embclark
embclark Posts: 186 Member
So this was my week of experimenting. I have been working out 5-6 days a week and although I loved the afterwards and even the during, I was stressing myself out about getting the workout in and started! I have also been taking coconut oil for about a months and marking it in my journal. And I had been keeping my goal between losing 1-2 pounds a week. I knew that it was a high goal, but with all the exercise I was doing, I was still eating soo much that I didn't worry.

So this week I still had my 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, but I didn't log them. Decided they were my "medicine" and I wouldn't log cough medicine, so why this?

Also, I changed my settings to lose 1/2 a pound a week because I am fairly close to my goal. I still have quite a bit of flub on my Lowe belly, but I am almost into my size 6's and that is about as small as I want to get...

AND I decided to stop stressing myself out with exercises this week. So after 6.5 months, almost 200 days, I stopped exercising. (I still have my 2 year old so it isn't like I stopped moving!)

AND I LOST 2.4 pounds! (I have barely lost in the past two months...) So, I am a bit happy. I am going to add back in minimal exercise this week. Use my Wii fit, I love the cardio boxing! I am going to try to keep myself stress free!

Do you think I was stressing my body out too much by setting such strict limits/workouts that my body couldn't handle it? I have read that e stress of high intense workouts can be bad for the thyroid... Thoughts?

Replies

• debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hi embark,
    Wow, thanks for sharing this! I think you're on to something here. How many calories do you eat? (without the CO)?
    It sounds like your body really appreciated the change!
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you lost this week. I think there is some merit to giving yourself a week off...I went on vacation and was active but didn't work out per se, and gained about a pound and a half, BUT the next week I got back in the saddle and over the next 2 weeks lost 2 lbs. each week, whereas before my vacation I had somewhat stalled (very slow loss for 3-4 weeks). So I think the break might have done you (and me) good. Just remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you stop working out, you may lose weight but gain inches as the muscles become less toned and you gain back some fat, potentially. I am not an expert, just my 2cents...
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've not been able to workout for three weeks ( stress fractures in my foot) and I've gained 2 or 3 pounds. So for me, I want to keep working out and will as soon as I'm able. Plus, it just helps my mood. So maybe it stresses out my thyroid, maybe it doesn't, but I like to feel good, and working out definitely improves my mood as well as makes it easier for me to maintain or lose weight.
  • embclark
    Options
    Hi embark,
    Wow, thanks for sharing this! I think you're on to something here. How many calories do you eat? (without the CO)?
    It sounds like your body really appreciated the change!

Well, I am 5'", 157 pounds and I am set to eat at about 1550 calories.
  • embclark
    Options
    I'm glad you lost this week. I think there is some merit to giving yourself a week off...I went on vacation and was active but didn't work out per se, and gained about a pound and a half, BUT the next week I got back in the saddle and over the next 2 weeks lost 2 lbs. each week, whereas before my vacation I had somewhat stalled (very slow loss for 3-4 weeks). So I think the break might have done you (and me) good. Just remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you stop working out, you may lose weight but gain inches as the muscles become less toned and you gain back some fat, potentially. I am not an expert, just my 2cents...

I was thinking of the fat versus muscle thing too, but I do measure myself very Saturday so I will keep an eye on that. But thank you! It could just be the change of pace, but for the past month or so that I was maintaining, I ate under calories and exercised like it would save my life! And got no where, so I need to do something different! :-)

I'll let you know next Sunday how my next weigh in goes...
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Well, I am 5'", 157 pounds and I am set to eat at about 1550 calories.
    Thanks! I just wanted to make sure you weren't eating the recommended 1200...
    I know my body has been screaming for a bit of a break, but I have been afraid to let it rest for a day, because "habit" keeps me going. I'm afraid of breaking the habit, for fear it will be too hard the next day to get back into it. Since our bodies can go into starvation mode... why not also hold off if we're over-doing the exercise. That one article was saying Hypothyroid people can have issues with over-doing exercise. Definitely need exercise, but as with most things, probably need balance here too.
    Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    There does seem to be evidence that the body responds well to a week (or longer) break from exercise every now and again. I've had that myself...not workout for a week, but eat a slight deficit. I'd end up dropping a bit of weight before getting back to exercise.

Sounds like some good changes to help your body along.