Pain management

Options
DrMAvDPhD
DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
Even mild cases of scoliosis can lead to back and other joint pain. Here is a place to share what you have found works (or doesn't work!) for living with scoliosis induced pain.

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    Options
    Works:
    Muscle relaxers (although the side effects tend to make it not worth it unless I plan on sleeping within 30 minutes)
    Massage
    Heating pads
    Swimming
    Maintaining a low BMI (this helps the most)

Doesn't work for me:
    Pain relievers of any strength
    Yoga (I have found when I completely loosen some notes, the pain is actually worse)
    Skelaxor (this is a drug, not even sure if it is on the market still, that did nothing but give me stomach aches)
  • KathiLuk
    KathiLuk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What works for me:
    Walking! As much as it might be hurting when you go out, somehow I feel better when I get home. Start small and work up to longer distances. I walk with my 3 year old German Shepard named Haley. She can sometimes be a bit of a tugger, but this actually helps me to strengthen my back muscles.

Playing frisbee with my dog. This motion does wonders to loosen up tense back muscles.

Rowing on a Concept 2 rowing machine. It stretches your back (and lots of other body parts) as well as strengthening muscles.

Laying flat on your back with your knees up and something under them for support (like a pillow), then with your hands together and arms straight, put your hands out over your head.

Massage is good while it is happening, but the affects don't seem to last long for me.

I used to take Vioxx, until they took it off the market. Now I take Celebrex, but I would like to get off that one as well.
  • kzivic
    kzivic Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    For me, ice works better than heat when I'm sore and the nerves feel "pinchy".

Pilates has really helped me, it helps stretch and by strenghting my core, it has helped strengthen my back.
  • fizzy123
    fizzy123 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    For me, ice works better than heat when I'm sore and the nerves feel "pinchy".

Pilates has really helped me, it helps stretch and by strenghting my core, it has helped strengthen my back.

This ^^^^^
    I have a mild curve in mid thoracic level, only really affects me if I dont do my stretches and stability work.I start to dip to my right side and rotate. I have really weak extensors and have to work really hard at these.
    Doing P90 X at the moment and find this great for working out my weak areas.
  • wyodawn
    wyodawn Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid drugs, I don't feel like they help me and the ones that do make me a zombie. But, for bad days I have methocarbomal (muscle relaxer) and tramadol (for pain) and the occasional advil.

What works for me:
    -yoga (though I agree, sometimes it makes my back more angry)
    -Pilates. It has changed my body. And I have an instructor who is a miracle worker. She pushes me while still being understanding.
    -heat. I'm attached to my heating pad at least 2-3 times/day
    -soft roller, tennis ball, lacrosse ball, MELT method balls
    -Biofreeze
    -massage. I get massage gift certs. every birthday, anniversary, thank you gift, you name it. People know I depend on it like air.

also, about 6 months ago, I got a Tempurpedic bed...my sister calls it my old lady bed because it has a remote control & the head and feet adjust. I love not having to prop up with 8 pillows to read now though and I feel like I wake up less due to pain in the middle of the night.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Eucalyptus and Spearmint massage after a hot shower.

Sleeping with a neck pillow.

Those are the biggest things that have helped me.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options
    Eucalyptus and Spearmint massage after a hot shower.

That sounds amazing!