Need some help

Options
D2244
D2244 Posts: 30 Member
Hey there, I am new here and need some advice. Here is some history....I am 41 5ft 7 and 153 lbs. I am about 17% bf. Always been skinny but with age went up to 185lb. I have lost the weight (still have some belly fat) but want to start building more muscle but should I loose more weight first? I know it is hard to gain muscle and loose fat at the same time but just looking for some direction here.

Question: Is there an ideal BF% that I should be at before I start bulking up? Right now, MFP is set to 1,500 calories with 40% carb, 40% protein and 20% fat and try to eat as clean as I can but with 4 kids there is always snacks around!

I currenty do some type of cardio or HIIT training for 30 mins a few days a week and on the other days do a several sets of pushups, crunches, pull ups etc and try to get to the gym at least 1 day a week to do some lifting. I am starting to see some results but it is really slow.

Any advice you can give? Feeling confused and need some direction to set some new goals for myself. Thanks

Replies

• dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    personally my plan is to cut to 10% bf then bulk to about 15% and cut again. I don't want to cut more than I have to in the spring.

If I were you I would cut some more, it means less work to do after you bulk.
  • FitRican
    FitRican Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I am new here and need some advice. Here is some history....I am 41 5ft 7 and 153 lbs. I am about 17% bf. Always been skinny but with age went up to 185lb. I have lost the weight (still have some belly fat) but want to start building more muscle but should I loose more weight first? I know it is hard to gain muscle and loose fat at the same time but just looking for some direction here.

Question: Is there an ideal BF% that I should be at before I start bulking up? Right now, MFP is set to 1,500 calories with 40% carb, 40% protein and 20% fat and try to eat as clean as I can but with 4 kids there is always snacks around!

I currenty do some type of cardio or HIIT training for 30 mins a few days a week and on the other days do a several sets of pushups, crunches, pull ups etc and try to get to the gym at least 1 day a week to do some lifting. I am starting to see some results but it is really slow.

Any advice you can give? Feeling confused and need some direction to set some new goals for myself. Thanks

Hi, there is right body fat to start. Eat what you want just keep 40-40-20 ratio and stay under 1500.
    First set your goals. - Bulking or cutting - Then set an activity and nutrition plan to achieve your goals. Don't worry about your weight let the mirror be your guide, unless you are training for a boxing match where you need to meet a weight limit.

Bulking phase - Start building muscle with complex weight lifting moves if possible 3 times a week (squats, leg presses, deadlifts, bench press, back rows) forget about small muscle groups (bicep curls, tricep,) for now. If you want to gain mass faster stop doing cardio until you build muscle. T

Cutting Pase- Reduce your calorie intake, to create a deficit, continue lifting 3 times a week and add cardio back to program. Eat 40-40-20.
  • clee369
    clee369 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Supposedly it's easier to bulk first and then cut, but in your case you could probably just do both at the same time. Make sure you get your body weight in protein every day, and do compound exercises like melendfi recommends. Stop doing the cardio, or at least reduce it, and you should see your muscle mass stay the same or increase and your body fat percentage drop
  • D2244
    D2244 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I am trying to gain muscle and lower BF at the same time. I will definatley increase protein. One question, can only get to gym once a week. What is best to work out at home? I've been working hard the one day and for 3 other days do sit ups, different kinds of pushups and pull ups. Is this enough? Any other recommdations to use my body weight to get a good workout? Those days at home don't seem to compare to my gym day. Maybe do more reps at home? I usually do 4 sets of 25-30 reps . Like I said I don't have a lot of muscle to start out with so have a long way to build up my toothpick arms!
  • FitRican
    FitRican Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I am trying to gain muscle and lower BF at the same time. I will definatley increase protein. One question, can only get to gym once a week. What is best to work out at home? I've been working hard the one day and for 3 other days do sit ups, different kinds of pushups and pull ups. Is this enough? Any other recommdations to use my body weight to get a good workout? Those days at home don't seem to compare to my gym day. Maybe do more reps at home? I usually do 4 sets of 25-30 reps . Like I said I don't have a lot of muscle to start out with so have a long way to build up my toothpick arms!

To gain muscle and loose weight just train hard and eat right.

These are some good exercises for home:
    Jump squats - 3 set 15-20 reps
    Fast squats - 15-20 squats at fast pace
    Push Up - 3-5 sets to failure

Buy a par of dumb bells or elastic bands and do some of the following:
    Bicep curls
    Triceps extension
    Over head presses
    Back rows

Keep your calories intake diet under maintenance.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    IMHO bulk first its like building a house first you need to lay the foundation bulking will set the frame and then cut is best if you cut and you have no muscle mass you will look anoerixic muscle burns FAT so is best to build muscle first then cut fat is easy to burn and muscle is hard to build