Exercise Do and Don'ts

Options
DrMAvDPhD
DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
Okay another topic by me :laugh:

What kind of exercises can you do with scoliosis? What kinds do you feel you can't do? What kinds make you feel better? What kinds worse?

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    Options
    I find that I can do anything low or medium impact. My go-to cardio are dancing (Zumba!), biking, swimming, and the elliptical machine. High impact cardio (running, stair climbing) usually leaves me with knee, hip, and lower back pain. I have had orthopedic surgeons tell me to avoid running and taking the stairs when possible.

I recently have started lifting weights. I seem to be able to do everything pretty well, except squats. Because my shoulders are so uneven, the bar sits on an angle, and this destablizes me during the exercise. I am planning on seeing a doctor within the next few weeks to ask him if I should keep working at my form in this move, or find a safer alternative. I am hoping to strengthen my back and core by doing these exercises!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    Options
    Talked to the doctor this morning. I wanted to share a few things for anyone else interested in heavy lifting with scoliosis.

The doc said that he thinks any exercise that leads to strengthening the core is great. He also agreed that "perfect' form will be impossible for many lifts. He thinks it is better to go with my natural form on squats, which means one side of the bar is lower than the other, and not to fight myself to keep the bar straight. He says as long as it doesn't make back pain worse, it is likely not doing damage. He was more worried about dead lifts, and advised me to keep the weight on the lower end for those.

The overall message was "Stronger is better, but if it hurts, stop!"
  • kzivic
    kzivic Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this!
  • wyodawn
    wyodawn Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I've done Pilates mat classes for years, but recently started working with a certified trainer on the Pilates Reformer machine. It's completely changed my body. My massage therapist couldn't believe the difference yesterday (I hadn't seen her for a few months). I am so much stronger and my back hurts slightly less. I still have uncontrollable muscle spasms & and am in a lot of pain in the mornings & at night especially.

At home, I do Pilates mat, yoga, weights (probably lighter than I should), calisthenics, and walking.

That's great to hear a doctor tell you not to fight it. I feel like most treatments are like arguing with your own body & I'm pretty sick of that approach.