Weight gain after starting new workout program

Options
MichelleRenee13
MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
I started ChaLean Extreme last Sunday....I just weighed yesterday (a week after starting CLX) and gained 2lbs. Should I lower calories?

I upped to 1900 when starting CLX. I was eating 1800 prior.

I am exercising 3 hours 20 minutes per week and that is enough for me!

5'5
38 years old (next month)
174 lbs (since gaining the 2lbs)

I don't know about measurements. I can't accurately measure myself!! Clothes feel about the same.....can't really tell....I am between sizes at the moment.

Thoughts?

Michelle

Replies

• jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Is this your first time lifting/strength training?
  • MichelleRenee13
    Options
    It has been years since I did anything.

The weeks prior to starting CLX. I was doing some routines with Bodylastics resistance bands. I switched to free weights with CLX.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly normal to see a weight gain after starting an exercise program. Don't let it discourage you. It can take up to a month for some people to see any loss after just starting to exercise. You may want to check this link out:
    ww.livestrong.com/article/403311-gaining-weight-when-starting-an-exercise-program/
    and there's this one:
    http://coachterricruce.com/why-on-earth-am-i-gaining-weight-after-starting-a-new-workout-program/

I can't find the really awesome link I found a few weeks ago, but these say basically the same type of thing. So don't fret! It's all good! :happy:
  • hoosmi
    hoosmi Posts: 18
    Options
    I started lifting 2 weeks ago (while maintaining steady cardio)-- in the first two days I gained almost 4 pounds (but also had TOM). I've lost 2-3 of the new pounds this week. I keep telling myself that I didn't eat an extra 14,000 calories in that short a time period... It really messes with your head, but I feel like I'm going back down and my clothes fit better.

Hang in there!
  • MichelleRenee13
    Options
    I guess I am afraid that I am eating way too much! I am never sure it I calculated my numbers right.

I did maintain on 1800 calories when I had to stop all exercise for 2 weeks, so I didn't/don't think raising them 100 calories per day when starting a strength training plus 2 days cardio was too much. I may be wrong. I am not sure! So unsure and nervous!
  • Settuccini
    Settuccini Posts: 44
    Options
    Always note that when starting a new weight training program, you WILL gain weight. Muscle weighs more than fat, for one, but also as you build muscle, you will still have layers of fat over it in the beginning (the first two-ish months, at least). The key is consistency and you will see changes.

Your muscles will also swell after workouts, filling up with water to repair having torn the muscle when heavy lifting. Just drink lots of water and get all your protein in!

Give it time. A couple of weeks is not enough to -see- drastic, positive changes, but underneath they are happening. This sort of thing is for the long-term. Just measure yourself with a tape and avoid the scale after workouts. Also be sure to have off days in-between from lifting. Rest days are essential for muscle repairs.
  • dzinergrl18
    dzinergrl18 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I guess I am afraid that I am eating way too much! I am never sure it I calculated my numbers right.

I did maintain on 1800 calories when I had to stop all exercise for 2 weeks, so I didn't/don't think raising them 100 calories per day when starting a strength training plus 2 days cardio was too much. I may be wrong. I am not sure! So unsure and nervous!

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I had the same thing happen when I started. I'm in the push phase now and so hungry it's ridiculous! You will lose those 2 lbs and more once your body gets accustomed to the muscle. Please don't go down in calories either. Chalene tells us that you have to feed your muscle and starving yourself will not help. My goal right now is 1950 (that's my cut) but days when I lift, I eat more than that. It seems like so much, but I promise, your inches will go down and eventually, your weight will too! Friend me if you'd like.