How to eat more! Please Help!!

iLose2Gain
iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
Lucia suggested I go to the forum & get your opinions on what I can do to increase my calorie intake.

My problem is: I'M NOT HUNGRY!!!

I didn't get fat because I over ate, I just ate the wrong things. Cheetos for breakfast, Taco Bell for lunch & Checkers for dinner won't help you reach your fitness goal! LOL But I just don't eat much and never have! So I'm having a problem reaching my TDEE goal of 1907 calories. The most I've been able to eat is 1400 healthy (or mostly healthy) & that was a stretch. The days I reach 1700-1800 are when I am out to eat & they mostly likely aren't the greatest food choices!

Does anyone have any recipes or ideas on things I can do to reach my TDEE goal without going out to eat & eating to the point of sick!!! Yesterday was my first day & I had to stop eating @ 2p. Even when I ate my dinner I wasn't hungry at all!! Your help would be greatly appreciated!!

I am going to open my diary to the public for 1 week so you can take a look @ what I am currently doing & what I can improve upon!

When you see Kimberly Snyder Glowing Green Smoothie these are the ingredients:

Spinach - Raw, 4 cup
Apples - Raw, with skin, 1 medium (2-3/4" dia) (approx 3 per lb)
Generic Raw - Pear, 1 medium
Bananas - Raw, 1 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long)
Fresh Raw (Nutritiondata.Com) - Cilantro, 0.5 oz
3 cups of water

**Serves 3 (I normally drink 1/2 before workout & the other half as snack around 10 or 11)

When you see Kimberly Snyder Power Protein, these are the ingredients:

Jarrow Formulas - Brown Rice Protein Vanilla, 4 tablespoons
Spectrum Essentials - Chia Seed Omega-3 & Fiber, 2 Tbsp (12g)
Stevita - Liquid Stevia Extract, 1/8 tsp
Spices - Cinnamon, ground, 0.5 tsp
Mccormick's - Pure Vanilla Extract, 0.5 tsp. (5mL)
Sambazon - Organic Acai Puree Smoothie Pack - Immunity (Acai Berry + Acerola), 0.5 pack (100 g)
2 cups of Water

**Serves 1

******PS. To view multiple days click "View Printable Report" @ the bottom then list the days of my journal you would like to see. Makes it easier than clicking each day!! :smile:

THANK YOU!!

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Hi and Welcome :)

I suggest you look for calorie dense food like nuts, nut butter, full fat products like cheese, milk, yoghurt

Why don't you add to your shakes 1 tablespoon of nut butter-that's a good 100 kcal.
    It seems hard in the beginning, but once you get the hang of it you don't want to miss the food any more.
    Eating clean is not a necessity for EM2WL but I think it helps a lot and it just makes you feel better
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Add some plain yogurt to the smoothies? Might need to cut back on the water in them if you do, but that would add some more healthy calories there. And adding to what Noor said - besides nuts, add avocados, snack on hard boiled eggs, half an apple dipped in almond or peanut butter....

For breakfast, maybe alternate the smoothies with some oatmeal (add yogurt, walnuts, fresh fruit, a bit of honey & cinnamon - yum!), or a couple of eggs and a slice of whole wheat toast with nut butter.
  • iLose2Gain
    Hi and Welcome :)

I suggest you look for calorie dense food like nuts, nut butter, full fat products like cheese, milk, yoghurt

Why don't you add to your shakes 1 tablespoon of nut butter-that's a good 100 kcal.
    It seems hard in the beginning, but once you get the hang of it you don't want to miss the food any more.
    Eating clean is not a necessity for EM2WL but I think it helps a lot and it just makes you feel better

Thank you!! I can't do a lot of cheese & regular milk is an absolute no-no! I'm lactose intolerant! :( I can do yogurt sometimes but I absolutely do not like greek yogurt!! I will look @ nut butter! I've never tried it before but I love peanut butter!! Thanks for your suggestions! :smile:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member

Thank you!! I can't do a lot of cheese & regular milk is an absolute no-no! I'm lactose intolerant! :( I can do yogurt sometimes but I absolutely do not like greek yogurt!! I will look @ nut butter! I've never tried it before but I love peanut butter!! Thanks for your suggestions! :smile:

Try the Dannon Oikos brand for Greek yogurt. I found it to be similar in taste to regular yogurt but with a creamier texture.
  • iLose2Gain
    Add some plain yogurt to the smoothies? Might need to cut back on the water in them if you do, but that would add some more healthy calories there. And adding to what Noor said - besides nuts, add avocados, snack on hard boiled eggs, half an apple dipped in almond or peanut butter....

For breakfast, maybe alternate the smoothies with some oatmeal (add yogurt, walnuts, fresh fruit, a bit of honey & cinnamon - yum!), or a couple of eggs and a slice of whole wheat toast with nut butter.

Thanks!! My cholesterol is elevated so I'm not sure about the eggs. & I'm so sorry to be picky but I don't like oatmeal :frown: I'll add avocados especially since I love them anyway!! I love green apples w/ peanut butter but I need to try another kind with less fat. Currently using Skippy Natural (so good) but it has 32 grams of fat in 2 tablespoons!
  • iLose2Gain

Try the Dannon Oikos brand for Greek yogurt. I found it to be similar in taste to regular yogurt but with a creamier texture.

That is the kind I tried, Honey flavor. Maybe I'll try another flavor!! :smile:
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Avocado is great in smoothies if you don't like the taste/texture. I love nuts, nut butter, coconut oil. You could also try adding flavor since you are not hungry.

For example, one of my favorite breakfasts is one whole egg and 3 egg whites pan fried in coconut oil spray then sandwiched between an Ezekiel english muffin. I smear on a tsp of Earth Bound Coconut spread and add 1/4 smashed avocado.

You could easily pan fry the eggs in a tablespoon of oil, use two whole eggs and use more butter (in place of my coconut spread if thats not your thing) You can easily add a couple hundred calories without actually eating more bulk if that comes across right :blushing:

I also love Hummus spread on sandwiches, wraps and even my egg sandwich.

If you are not someone who does a lot of cooking, I know some people add a T of oil to their smoothies.

Edit to add I just seen while I was posting you have to watch your egg intake. Maybe liquid eggs? Also have you tried almond milk and almond milk yogurt/coconut milk yogurt? I have no lactose issues but I love coconut almond milk. Also you could use full fat coconut milk in your smoothies which makes them super creamy!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member

Thanks!! My cholesterol is elevated so I'm not sure about the eggs. & I'm so sorry to be picky but I don't like oatmeal :frown: I'll add avocados especially since I love them anyway!! I love green apples w/ peanut butter but I need to try another kind with less fat. Currently using Skippy Natural (so good) but it has 32 grams of fat in 2 tablespoons!

Welcome to the site! Eggs are not bad for you. That was a myth from the 80's :)

I eat 4 eggs a day. its a great source of protein and calories. My good and bad cholesterol is perfect, and I am overweight ;)

Greek yogurt is the bomb, I eat Chobani fruit ones.

Skippy Natural is what I eat as well. Its the best. Dont worry to much about the fat, as they are generally "good fats"

Avacado's are fantastic as well - dont worry about the fat in them.

Cottage cheese is great

Eat cereals....

Ummm....Lots of lean meats...those can pack the calories up quic

Also start adding in protein shakes. Its a great way to add a bulk amount of calories your in taking and increasing the all important protein intake.
  • iLose2Gain

Welcome to the site! Eggs are not bad for you. That was a myth from the 80's :)

I eat 4 eggs a day. its a great source of protein and calories. My good and bad cholesterol is perfect, and I am overweight ;)

Greek yogurt is the bomb, I eat Chobani fruit ones.

Skippy Natural is what I eat as well. Its the best. Dont worry to much about the fat, as they are generally "good fats"

Avacado's are fantastic as well - dont worry about the fat in them.

Cottage cheese is great

Eat cereals....

Ummm....Lots of lean meats...those can pack the calories up quic

Also start adding in protein shakes. Its a great way to add a bulk amount of calories your in taking and increasing the all important protein intake.

I heard it was a myth but after I seen how much cholesterol was in them I back off. Love hard boiled eggs w/ sea salt!! I do drink a protein shake every morning! It is 245 calories. I was doing GNC Total Lean Meal Replacement but it was only giving me 9 grams of protein & it did a number on my stomach!! (It contains milk!!! :frown: ) So I switched to a Brown Rice Protein mixture that includes chia seeds & acai! (recipe above) Gives me 24 grams of protein. Also a great way to get the antioxidants & omega 3 BUT I'm so freaking full after drinking it!!! The cereal I eat is only 165 calories! It is either Honey Bunches of Oats or Kellogg Honey & oats with Almond milk.
  • iLose2Gain
    I noticed the days where I do not drink my green smoothies are the days when I can reach at least 1600! But I do not want to give them up! I get all my fruits & veggies for the entire day in one drink!!!
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    I had to plan out my meals in order to hit my calorie goals. I also had to break them down into smaller meals because I couldn't eat that much in one sitting.

Stop worrying about fat and pay attention to the kind of fat you are getting. Fat from nuts, fish, healthy oils, avocado, egg yolks, etc are good for you, so eat them. They are also calorie dense foods so you'll hit your calorie goal faster by eating them. Even those who have elevated cholesterol are encouraged to eat eggs - just everything in moderation.

Consider drinking some of your calories. I have a glass of OJ with my dinner that gives me up to 100 calories. Also try different brands of greek yogurt - they are all so, so different. I prefer Chobani fruit flavors, but my husband perfers the Yoplait strawberry or blueberry. Also if you don't like the flavor then putting it in a smoothie is the best place because you can't taste it.

Buy full fat everything, including salad dressings. Don't be afraid to use sugar, sauces, spreads, dressings, gravies, etc. Each of those can add 100 calories with 1-2 Tbs.
  • iLose2Gain
    I had to plan out my meals in order to hit my calorie goals. I also had to break them down into smaller meals because I couldn't eat that much in one sitting.

Stop worrying about fat and pay attention to the kind of fat you are getting. Fat from nuts, fish, healthy oils, avocado, egg yolks, etc are good for you, so eat them. They are also calorie dense foods so you'll hit your calorie goal faster by eating them. Even those who have elevated cholesterol are encouraged to eat eggs - just everything in moderation.

Consider drinking some of your calories. I have a glass of OJ with my dinner that gives me up to 100 calories. Also try different brands of greek yogurt - they are all so, so different. I prefer Chobani fruit flavors, but my husband perfers the Yoplait strawberry or blueberry. Also if you don't like the flavor then putting it in a smoothie is the best place because you can't taste it.

Buy full fat everything, including salad dressings. Don't be afraid to use sugar, sauces, spreads, dressings, gravies, etc. Each of those can add 100 calories with 1-2 Tbs.

I plan my meals but end up deleting things because I can't eat them. lol But I'm working on it!! I'm looking at your diet & trying to see things that I incorporate.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    How about just adding 50-100 calories a week til you get to the level you want to be at?

Most people are really hungry the day after working out with weights (have a need for more calories).:wink:

Edited to say, your smoothies are really high fiber, that may be part of the problem (first thing in the morning).
  • iLose2Gain
    How about just adding 50-100 calories a week til you get to the level you want to be at?

Most people are really hungry the day after working out with weights (have a need for more calories).:wink:

Edited to say, your smoothies are really high fiber, that may be part of the problem (first thing in the morning).

Yeah it may be the fiber! I have 19 grams of fiber first thing in the morning!! After I eat the protein shake, I'm full until 2pm!! I think I am going to try adding the calories gradually!! That is a good idea!!! I had 1533 today & I think I did good!