Lack of sleep while quitting, is this normal?

Options
Hi do you experience sleeping problems during the quitting process? Is this normal? My normal sleeping time is 6 hours (fyi: 8 hours isn't applicable for everyone) but lately I have not been able to sleep even for 4 straight hours without waking up every 30 mins or 1 hour.

In short I've been awake for 36 hours straight!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    YES!

I normally sleep about 7 hours a night on a normal weekday night. After I quit I had awful insomnia. I would wake up at 4 in the morning and not be able to get back to sleep (my alarm goes off at 6 am). Or I wouldn't be able to fall asleep at night. I Googled insomnia and quitting smoking and found it is completely normal. The websites I looked at says it usually lasts for up to 2 weeks. Mine lasted for about a week and then my body settled back into a normal routine.

So yes, blame the nicotine addiction for keeping you awake! But know that like all other symptoms, it will subside. Having things like that happen to me after I quit made me realize the extent of the hold nicotine had on my body. Nicotine is one messed up substance! I will never smoke again and one big reason is I would never want to go through all of these withdrawal symptoms again.
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Completely normal. and the biggest culprit is caffeine but not only that. The process of dealing with nicotine has a handy side effect of also dealing with Caffeine. So people who smoke are twice as good at clearing caffeine from their system. When you quit if you keep drinking the same amount of tea or coffee your body has to deal with a lot more caffeine that its used to :)

Its totally normal and I am just coming out the other side now and 11 days free

Mike - Free for Eleven Days, 18 Hours and 39 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 19 Hours, by avoiding the use of 236 cigarettes that would have cost me £84.84.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Oh I see. Well so far my sleeping has already improved although still not so much but I hope it will in a few weeks.

Thanks for your responses everyone :)