Things I've Learned Since Joining EM2WL

AprilRenewed
AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
I was going to just make this a blog post, but I thought it may make a fun thread too, that way others can comment as well.

This thread isn't about the facts. Those can be found on the stickies. This thread is about what we have learned and are learning as we take this journey. This thread is about how eating HEALTHY and RIGHT and fueling our bodies is affecting each of us. It's a very personal journey, and I understand if you don't want to add your own thoughts.

But I'm going to start us off with mine. :smile:

I finally understand that I will never *bulk* up. I've learned the importance, in fact, of gradually increasing my weights (and have been doing so!)

I've learned that the day after lifting, I'm almost always a pound or two heavier than the day before. Even on days like today, where I feel super skinny, I'm a pound heavier.

I've learned that that is okay. It's a good thing, even.

I've learned that as long as I get enough protein, my body doesn't do that funny, awful, almost painful full-body bloat thing that it was doing when I first began lifting and wasn't eating enough. I mean, we're talking over 5 lbs of bloat. Thighs that don't rub together were getting in the way of one another because they were at least an inch larger than normal. I could barely workout because my limbs felt - and in fact were! - heavier than normal. It was awful. But then I came here and learned that when you're lifting, your body needs that protein more than ever. I started eating more protein, and I haven't felt that bloat since.

Most importantly, I've learned that eating more doesn't make me gain.

Okay. Your turn...if you're interested. :flowerforyou:

What have you learned since joining EM2WL?

Replies

• rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Nice idea, here goes:

I have learned:

Food is NOT the enemy. Food is actually my friend.

that malnourishment is a broader term than just what your Mom told you about the kids in Ethiopia who wanter your peas.

SO much more about how the body works than I ever thought possible~ and this is coming from a health-care worker!

how to break my addiction to the SCALE and with about 98% success (if you've seen me around lately, you know that I can still have meltdowns when I DO get on that thing)

that there are so many others "just like me" when I always thought I was a "freak of nature" or "the one with the problem".

I am surrounded by the BEST support system in the world here at EM2WL!!!:heart::heart:

(I have also learned that a "Smiley post" not only brightens someone else's day, but mine too!:flowerforyou: )
  • AprilRenewed
    Good ones! I have to agree with the amazing support group here...and learning that food is not the enemy.
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    First off, I'm so glad I learned about this group early on...before I got myself into a way of living that I knew I didn't want for myself. I want this to be a long term solution and I already knew how to be a yo yo dieter. The principles of EM2WL will get me there. For me, personally, I love to eat and I did not want to eat as part of a reward system (eat exercise cals back). I am also a planner, so I enjoy planning out my days in advance when possible and I could not do that without the EM2WL model. Lastly, I like simplicity and EM2WL gives me that..... Eat this amount daily, exercise 3-5 hours a week. Lift. Done.

So these are a few of the things I have learned:
    After I record all the protein I am going to eat in a day, I can eat anything else I want as long as it fits in my macros and tastes good with my protein choices.
    I am eating very close to the way I will eat when I hit maintainance, therefore this really is my new life even though I still have a ways to go....and as I get closer to goal weight, the weight will come off slower and that's ok because I am in no rush.
    I've learned that if you evaluate your numbers (weight, measurements, body fat) more than monthly and make changes in your plan based on those numbers, you are asking for trouble and confusion. You've got to be consistent and you've got to be mentally tough. You've got to be a badass!
    I've learned that pictures tell a story of a thousand words (my profile pic shows what lifting and 29 pounds of fat loss looks like).
    I've learned that you have to give things a chance, block out the noise, don't overthink and be happy.
    NSVs are important! I try to find one every day!
    I've learned that by eating more, you truly can hang onto lean body mass while losing fat. I lost 13 pounds in the last 10 weeks and all of it was fat according to my body composition analysis.

^^I've also learned that I can really screw up all those things I just posted from time to time and still be ok in the process.

:flowerforyou:
  • shae68143
    shae68143 Posts: 422 Member
    Bump for later ;)
  • AprilRenewed
    Got another one - I'm learning to listen to my body. When it needs food, I KNOW. When it needs protein, I feel differently than when it needs carbs.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    I've learned that my body is not the enemy. And food is my friend!!!

I've spent so much time hating my body and putting myself down. After starting this lifestyle back in March, I've learned to embrace the positives.

Here are a few:

My body successfully carried not one, but TWO, sets of twins to the point where they could survive out of the womb.

My body will never look like it did back when I was in my 20's and I've learned to accept it and appreciate my curves.

My body has never let me down....it was ME who let my body down.

There are several more but those are the main ones I repeat over and over to myself!!
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    I've learned that the scale is lying liar and shouldn't be trusted.

I've learned that there are several other more meaningful ways to track success and all of them are much more rewarding than the number on the scale (which only I see).

I've learned that if I don't eat properly I can't workout and get stronger the way I want. I HAVE to eat and eat right in order to make progress in my workouts. Heck, even to just have the energy to do my workouts.

I've learned that I don't like sugar or salt very much at all.
  • AprilRenewed
    I've learned that the scale is lying liar and shouldn't be trusted.

I've learned that there are several other more meaningful ways to track success and all of them are much more rewarding than the number on the scale (which only I see).

I needed to hear this one today. Thank you.

I learned that I still have a long way to go before I'm in a place of peace.

I've learned that it's okay and normal when my muscles swell after an intense lifting.

I've also learned I still hate that swelling. :(
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Got another one - I'm learning to listen to my body. When it needs food, I KNOW. When it needs protein, I feel differently than when it needs carbs.

This is so true!! I can tell when I am missing or what I've had too much of.