Any tips for a beginner?

Options
Caseyann2501
Caseyann2501 Posts: 43 Member
Hi, I'm an over wieght 23 yr old woman who started doing Shaolin Martial arts last year August. I loved it and it went well until about March this year, since when i have been sick or unable to train on and off. I have since picked up a bit of weight again, and have lost flexibility and cardio fitness especially. I am starting to get back into it this week but my fitness level has noticeably dropped. Since i am pretty much back to where I started in August I am pretty frustrated.

I plan to start running most days i'm doing doing classes, as well as practice my forms and work on upper body strength, but i'm not sure exactly what are the best exercises to do to specifically train for Martial Arts? I especially need to work on my core as my tummy is really flabby and weak.

What would be your top tips for someone starting out in Martial Arts?

Replies

• hiddensvelte
    hiddensvelte Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Stretching and any cardio (which is also great for weight loss/control). I find that when I perform a kata correctly and at about a speed of 5-6 (10 being a tournament speed), I'm sweating after 1 minute (could be my body type/condition :]).

cycling, jump roping, running come to mind first. Your correct to focus on your core as that'll help the others. Don't be afraid to talk to the other students, especially those in the higher ranks.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is art-specific or not, but when I'm in classes, I tend to notice things like, "The correct position for falling on my face looks like doing a push-up." And then I do more of that exercise.

I would recommend plants, sit-ups, push-ups, and squats.

You might want to get some small hand weights (2 lbs to start) to practice your punches. Repeat over and over until you feel you can't take it any more. You can also do the same thing with leg weights and kicking, but that might be a bit much for a beginner.

Practising doing moves correctly but very slowly is also a really intense exercise. You will be plenty sore after that, but it's good for you.
  • ClammyCupcake
    ClammyCupcake Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I did my pre-class warm ups at home for a while so I could strengthen up. We do 100 jumping jacks, 25 push ups, 75 crunches or 50 sit ups, 1 minute planks, and a 5 minute stretch including splits before every class. Takes like 15 minutes. Do that at home on your off days, or again when you get home after class. Do as many of everything as you can do, you will see an increase in strength and stamina in no time
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I did my pre-class warm ups at home for a while so I could strengthen up. Takes like 15 minutes. Do that at home on your off days, or again when you get home after class. Do as many of everything as you can do, you will see an increase in strength and stamina in no time

That's exactly what i do prior to leaving my house and heading to class. Plus at my age (43) i don't want to pull anything and then not being able to take class.
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    The advice given above is excellent, I would also add kata, kata, kata. Repetition, repetition, repetition.
  • hiddensvelte
    hiddensvelte Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I did my pre-class warm ups at home for a while so I could strengthen up. Takes like 15 minutes. Do that at home on your off days, or again when you get home after class. Do as many of everything as you can do, you will see an increase in strength and stamina in no time

That's exactly what i do prior to leaving my house and heading to class. Plus at my age (43) i don't want to pull anything and then not being able to take class.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^
  • stephinpitts
    Options
    I did my pre-class warm ups at home for a while so I could strengthen up. We do 100 jumping jacks, 25 push ups, 75 crunches or 50 sit ups, 1 minute planks, and a 5 minute stretch including splits before every class. Takes like 15 minutes. Do that at home on your off days, or again when you get home after class. Do as many of everything as you can do, you will see an increase in strength and stamina in no time

I like this, too. I also like the idea of using a light weight (~2lbs) to practice punches, but be careful to not over extend the punch. That could cause some pain in your elbow for the next few days.

Generally speaking, working out and stretching on the days that you don't have class is a good idea. I use a punching bag to try to keep my punches & kicks on point as well as as a form of exercise (my bag is an "original Wavemaster"). I also go jogging when the heat won't kill me and use a jump rope.

These may also give you some ideas:

http://www.karateblogger.com/2008/12/supplemental-exercises-hojo-undo/
    http://voices.yahoo.com/karate-point-fighting-increase-stamina-5647608.html

Basically, focus on stamina, aerobic, and strength training outside of class. Plyometrics and body weight training is a good place to start. Focus on the core (the torso area, ex: abs, chest, back) muscles to form a good foundation, but also begin working on squats and walking in "horse stance" to condition the legs. I also suggest focusing on stretching (once warmed up) to increase flexibility.

Also work on your kata outside of class. Kata may seem silly at first, but there are very good reasons to do it.

Remember to always warm up before exercise, and to do a cool down and stretching at the end of your exercise.

Lastly, keep in mind that you can't do all of the above on one day, and this is a process that will require a lot of time before you see improvement. Don't worry about the right now. Think one, two, or three months out (and back - just think of what you are today compared to what you were 3 months ago!)
  • Caseyann2501
    Caseyann2501 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the excellent advice! i will definitely be putting it in to practice (but as mentioned, probably not at the same time :laugh: )

Will post again in a few months to show my progress and hopefully the good results!
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Never give up!