Introduction - hello!

Hi everyone.

My name is Jamie and I've been struggling with binge eating for a while now. About two years ago I went through a phase of disordered eating - major restriction (800-1000 cals a day while working out an hour/day and taking several dance classes a day). After the better part of a year, the problem turned around and I began bingeing. I still do on occasion, especially lately. My calories creep up to around 2500-3000 on the days I binge - it's more about my state of mind when it happens.

I hate that I can no longer listen o my hunger cues. I don't really know what's behind it - I'm not super depressed about anything, but I definitely have my problems and stresses. I'm here for support.

Replies

• Guilless
    Guilless Posts: 5
    Hi Jaimie, I relate to your situation I am a binger too. After years of dealing with weight problems [binging] I learned that depression is my major contributor. In fact depression is the problem that has been ignored, I have been treating the symptoms [diet and exercise] and not the cause. This is a tricky path because meds aren't a friend to dieters. Because I am a male, the groups devoted to weight loss [OA] which deal with some of the psychological aspects of the problem are mostly filled with women and the men are rare and often 'slip' because they cannot form the healthy kinds of attachments with other men in the program - it's a vicious cycle.

I hope you can turn around your situation, and of course I wish you peace.

Gil