Bar Recommendations

Options
elg1982
elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
The book recommends a post workout shake, which would be very difficult for my schedule, but I can have a bar as a post workout snack. What do you like? I know he recommends Atkins and zone bars.

I like Luna Bars and Cliff bars, but they only have 9 to 11 grams of protein and the ones in the book all had 20.

Recommendations?

Replies

• cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I like Think Thin - 20g of protein per bar

0g sugar, Gluten Free

My kids like them too... I have to hide them because they are not cheap!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I like the Luna Protein bars, which have 12 g. each. If you wash it down with a cup of skim milk, that would bring your recovery protein to 20-21 grams easily. :)
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    A bar is fine. I think the book is just trying to recommend protein after your workout. It helps repair your muscles. I would try for 20 grams of protein. Think Thin are a good option.
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I love the LUNA bars! My fave is the white chocolate macadamia nut!
  • elg1982
    Options
    I had one of the Luna Protein bars, (not the original ones) yesterday, and it wasn't great. Tasted distinctly salty. Generally I like salty food, but not in a chocolate protein bar.

I bought a few different individual bars and am going to try them before I get boxes. I'm going to look for think thin. Do they have them in regular stores (Pharmacies and supermarkets?) or do I have to go to GNC?
  • cpa8198
    Options
    I found Think Thin at my local HEB (Health/Organic section).
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein bars have 20 g of protein and very few carbs. I like them for a post-workout snack.
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Balance just released "BARE" bars, which have 15g of protein.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I like GNC's whey isolate protein. It has 28 grams of protein. 130 calories. I usually mix it with a banana and half cup water, half cup milk. It covers my "extra calories" for lifting, my protein, and my recovery potassium!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

I've never seen them. Are they around all the other protein bars?

I eat an atkins protein bar and drink a shake everyday. The shake is no trouble? I think any protein is better than none but for some reason I'm thinking that he was saying the liquid form is best after a workout?
  • TheGsMama
    TheGsMama Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I put my protein powder in a shaker cup and then add a chocolate milk (Costco Organic in the tetrapac) after my workout and drink while I get ready to shower at the gym. No blender required.

I like the Pure Protein bars. I also read that the Quest bars are good.
  • cpa8198
    Options

I eat an atkins protein bar and drink a shake everyday. The shake is no trouble? I think any protein is better than none but for some reason I'm thinking that he was saying the liquid form is best after a workout?

JNH: No, not that section... I go to the one in Pearland (288/518). I think you are in Houston. It's the section that has the natural peanut/almond machine, where you can get organic flour and such. The Atkins bars are usually by the vitamins at this HEB.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Pure protein bars from Costco are good.
  • elg1982
    Options
    The shake is no trouble? I think any protein is better than none but for some reason I'm thinking that he was saying the liquid form is best after a workout?

Yeah but it wouldn't work with my schedule. I work out at a gym, and for reasons pertaining to public transportation, my work schedule, my husband's work schedule and only having one car, I'm not at home in my kitchen until 1 hour and 15 minutes after my workout is complete. And by then I'm thinking more about showering and having dinner than making a shake.
  • annamerrick
    annamerrick Posts: 78 Member
    Options

I really like Think Thin bars too! I found them at Trader Joes.