Good tips for running with your dog

ldg323
ldg323 Posts: 101 Member
Thought this was a good article to start with.

http://running.about.com/od/safetyissuesandtips/tp/runningwithdogs.htm

Dogs can be great running companions. They're reliable and adjust to whatever pace you want to run -- they also won't bore you with stories about their latest running achievement.
If you want to get your dog to be your training partner, follow these tips to keep him safe, healthy and comfortable:

Wait Until Your Dog is Full-Grown.
Don't run with your puppy. You can start taking smaller breeds out at six months, but you should wait a year for large breed dogs' bones to mature.

Don't Run with Older Dogs.
Large dogs shouldn't run past 7 years old. Even small dogs should cut back their mileage after they reach the age of 10.

Ease Your Dog in to Running.
Start your dog out slowly, just like you would if you were new to running. If you gradually increase the miles, your dog's pads will toughen up and make him less susceptible to injury. Check your dog's pads for signs that he overran. If you notice tenderness, raw spots or bleeding, give him a few days off from running.

Keep Your Dog Hydrated.
Make sure you carry enough water for both you and your dog. Teach your dog how to drink from a water bottle or carry a portable doggie dish to put water in.

Stick to Trails.
Whenever possible, run on trails, which are shaded and soft. The softer surface will be easier on the dog's joints.

Always Keep Your Dog on a Leash.
Even if your dog is well-trained, he may still try to run off if he sees another dog or animal.

Watch for Overheating.
Be familiar with the signs of fatigue or heat illness, which include panting, slowing down, foaming at the mouth, weakness, inability to stand, uncontrolled movement, agitation and glazed eyes. If you notice any of these signs, cool your dog immediately by thoroughly wetting him with cold water and getting him into the shade or an air-conditioned area, if possible. If your dog starts to vomit or doesn't improve within 10 minutes, seek veterinary help as quickly as possible.

Replies

• skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Great tips! Also watch the tongue, it will swell and get pale. Also watch the pavement, it can be too hot for them.

I see too many people out with a new puppy trying to run it. When they are young running or even too much walking can hurt them.

As I said before mine are not really walkers, but my greyhound mix does like to sprint. lol. I can't run at all because of back issues but sometimes my son will sprint with him if we are out somewhere safe. No human could keep up with him at full speed. One of my fav things to do is watch him run what we call greyhound laps in the yard. The lab mix just watches. It's so funny.

We can learn a lot by watching dogs. They are active naturally and play every day. We human need to spend more time playing and moving.
  • Ultimatebella
    Ultimatebella Posts: 3 Member
    Great Tips! I used to run with my dog and she kept the perffect pace for us! She is 12 now and has slowed down a lot so I don't run with her anymore. She is still in great shape because I have always taken such excellent care of her! The vet says she has another good 6 years!

I once saw a woman running at a very fast pace with her golden in a gentle leader, the poor dog could not pant and it was such a hot day! I tried put could nit catch up to her! I wish people would not use those and for God's sake not run the dog with them!

I am also a dog trainer! I love dogs and wish my Chula could still jog along with me but I just love having her no matter what she does!