Running in the Rain

Options
GypsyWillow22
GypsyWillow22 Posts: 31 Member
This past week it has been raining almost every morning so I was only able to go out on Tuesday morning. This morning I was planning on going but I woke up and it was pouring outside, and it hasn't stopped. I ran in the rain once when I didn't expect it to start raining and it was just aggrivating. But at the same time, I feel silly for not going on my run just because of rain. How do you guys feel about the rain? I don't have access to a gym so that's not an option for me right now.

Replies

• Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I would go. Honestly, as long as there's no lightening, what's the difference? You're going to get wet with sweat anyway! Right now, I think I'd actually find it cooler to run in the rain than the humidity that we have!
  • bozmo
    bozmo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Running in the rain can be really fun. Especially if its a warm summer rain!
    Throw some gear on and try it out. If you are miserable come home early.
  • chocco8
    chocco8 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I would rather run in the cooling rain than in killer heat, its so refreshing.
    As soon as you stop worrying about get wet then it's not a problem, don't dress for the weather, dress for the temperature.
    Go right through the puddles, your feet will get wet anyway.
    Get home, have a hot shower and feel like a warrior for running in the rain :)
  • Takarameri
    Takarameri Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't really mind running in the rain. I certainly find it easier than running in the summer heat.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running in the rain. I live in the PACNW. You either continue to live life with the rain or you stay inside and think about living. Don't let the rain stop you!
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    The first time I felt like a "runner" was while running in the rain. Go for it! Just be careful of wet socks. That equals blisters!
  • Stacylynn327
    Stacylynn327 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just did my first rain run this morning. I'm so glad I got up and dressed before I ever looked outside or I probably would have been tempted to crawl back in bed. The back this about it was that since I'm in Phoenix, it wasn't a cool rain and it feel like I was running in a steam room. But, i completed my run, came home and took a shower and felt so much better than I would have if I had stayed in bed!
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I run in the rain and actually enjoy it. I wear Vibram FiveFingers so I don't have to worry about splashing on socks and my feet actually didn't get very wet!
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running in the rain. I live in the PACNW. You either continue to live life with the rain or you stay inside and think about living. Don't let the rain stop you!

^Very well said! I used to worry about rain at first too but after having done several drenched runs, I'll take cool rain over sizzling heat any day. Just make sure to have a good running cap/hat. Last time, it started pouring unexpectedly and rain & sunscreen kept running into my eyes. I had to keep windshield-wiping my face! :laugh:
  • Nownourish
    Nownourish Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Great post-I didn't go out to do my C25K yesterday because of the rain- next time I certainly won't let that stop me :)
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    What do runners do with running in the rain when they have to wear glasses? I got caught in a somewhat heavy rain one day and my glasses kept getting so wet that I couldn't see and wiping them on my shirt was of no help! I finally had to call it when I almost hit something that I didn't see!
  • Stacylynn327
    Stacylynn327 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What do runners do with running in the rain when they have to wear glasses? I got caught in a somewhat heavy rain one day and my glasses kept getting so wet that I couldn't see and wiping them on my shirt was of no help! I finally had to call it when I almost hit something that I didn't see!

Have you tried wearing a hat of visor to shield your glasses from the rain a little?
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I thought about a visor or hat after the fact. When I left for my run, the weather forecast said that there would be a couple of rain-free hours so I was totally caught unprepared! I'll have to try that next time!