How are my fellow new non-smokers doing?

Options
melsinct
melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
It seems the traffic on this board is pretty slow. Let's keep it going! I know I could still use support or, if nothing else, someone to whine to!

So now we are all non-smokers, how is it going? Has it been easier or harder than you thought to quit?

I am on Day 26 of being cigarette free. Using my little QuitNow! app on my phone, it is telling me I have avoided smoking 263 (!) cigarettes and saved $118. WOW! I use the app for inspiration if a craving strikes- it keeps me motivated to keep going. Day 3 was my worst day so far regarding cravings and being generally crabby about not smoking. A friend of mine quit one week after me and his worst day was Day 7, so I guess it affects us all differently.

I got some semi-intense cravings through week 3. I still get them from time to time but they have lessened and the time between each craving has considerably grown. This past week, now that I am knocking on the doorstep of one month without smoking, the cravings are considerably subsiding.

Replies

• Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 7. I was doing okay and the Quit Now app has definitely helped, along with reminding myself that if I smoke, I will feel like crap. Period. However, I've had a week from hell and have been feeling extremely depressed the past few days and I want a cig sooooooooo bad. I know it won't fix anything but I know it would calm me enough to where I could at least talk to my coworkers without feeling like I'm going to start bawling. I tried going for a walk and getting outside but it didn't help. I just want to cry and I can't. So I want to smoke instead so I can stop feeling like crying but I can't do that either.

Sorry for the negativity- I'm not normally like this. I know eventually things will be okay and I'll feel better but I don't know what to do in the meantime. I feel like nothing will help until it just goes away on it's own. To make it worse I feel guilty for feeling like this because my mom is visiting for my b-day this weekend so I really have to pretend everything is fine and it sucks I can't truly be happy and enjoy this time with her and enjoy my b-day.
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Day 11 and I am not having any cravings any more. It helps that from around 20 minutes after my last one I knew I would never smoke again.

I dont feel there is any reason to reassess that :)

Good luck everyone :)
  • PatByrne82
    PatByrne82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Can i just say you are all doing great and you can get there.
    Today is day 269 since my last one.
    Can't picture myself with a smoke in my mouth ever again.
    After smoking for 2/3 of my life. Never been happier to not smoke
  • casperuk
    Options
    I walked almost 5 miles today. Now I know the only reason I can do that is because I have lost 4 stone, but 2 weeks ago I'd have been able to do it but my breathing would have been like a broken down jet engine and i'd have felt sick.

Today I was breathing like a pro :)
  • melsinct
    Options
    Day 11 and I am not having any cravings any more. It helps that from around 20 minutes after my last one I knew I would never smoke again.

That's how I knew I would be successful quitting, I absolutely knew that last cigarette I smoked was indeed my last.

Congratulations, pajodublin! I hope to be where you are in about 240 days!

Moxie42- I am sorry you are struggling. If you haven't already, I strongly suggest you read the book Easyway to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr ASAP. It will show you why having a cigarette will not calm you at all- that's just the nicotine addiction talking. I know it's rough but you have come this far, don't lose the ground you have already gained!
  • Moxie42
    Options
    Thanks Melsinct :) I do want to pick that up if I can find a free version online or in the library- I've heard such great things about it but even on Amazon it was $26 with shipping. Thankfully the "I need a cig" phase passed and even though I'm still in a mood, I'd be feeling a lot worse if I had given in. One day at a time, right?
  • melsinct
    Options
    I picked up the book at my library but found a free PDF online:

The PDF is not the American-English version so you'll see some British-English words here and there. But hey, it's free!
    http://thepreppersite.com/uploads/Allen_Carr-Easy_Way_To_Stop_Smoking.pdf
  • Moxie42
    Options
    Thanks!!! And I don't mind British-English :) I had a former coworker from England and she was the sweetest lady ever. Anytime she said British stuff like "trousers" and "the loo" it made me smile. I have no idea why, but I think British-English sounds much nicer for some reason, lol!
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    6 days, 7 hours smoke free over here
  • melsinct
    Options
    Congratulations, gavini!

I reached the 30 day mark yesterday, so I am pretty proud of myself! I am finding the cravings to be fleeting these days...I won't think of cigarettes for long periods of time and then out of the blue I will get some sort of mental trigger. I went out for a big work lunch today and soon afterwards my brain sent the "you want a cigarette message." I know it is just the psychological aspect of the addiction talking but it's annoying that it keeps coming back. Of course I know well enough just to ignore it but I am hoping that little voice goes away FOREVER, sooner rather than later!
  • casperuk
    Options
    Mike - Free for Twenty One Days, 8 Hours and 18 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 1 Day and 11 Hours, by avoiding the use of 427 cigarettes that would have cost me £153.83.
  • casperuk
    Options
    It never will apparently. My grandfather used to get them 20 years after quitting.

I do get them but I dont even notice them for what they are now ;) Yesterday I got one and just knew I needed something but wasnt sure what, by the time I realised it was a cigarette the feeling had passed :)
  • melsinct
    Options
    I do get them but I dont even notice them for what they are now ;) Yesterday I got one and just knew I needed something but wasnt sure what, by the time I realised it was a cigarette the feeling had passed :)

Yes, I have noticed that too! I have found that my cravings in the past week or so, which aren't really physical cravings just my mind playing tricks, strike when I would habitually have a cigarette: after a large meal, after having a couple drinks, etc. However, I am pleased to tell you all that on a day to day basis, my cravings are essentially gone!

Days without smoking: 37
    Cigarettes not smoked: 373 (!!!)
    Money saved: $167. 85
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hi. I quit today at 9:30 a.m. EST. So far I'm ok. I don't know how tomorrow will be. I downloaded QuitNow on my phone. That helps!
  • melsinct
    Options
    Hi. I quit today at 9:30 a.m. EST. So far I'm ok. I don't know how tomorrow will be. I downloaded QuitNow on my phone. That helps!

Welcome to the club and congratulations on your decision to become a nonsmoker!
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am on day three on not smoking. I forget sometimes that I quit and reach for them and then I remember! I am chewing a lot of gum!
  • melsinct
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing great, farmwife! Day 3 was my worst day for cravings so I hope yours is infinitely better than mine was!
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    16 days 5 hours for me :) doing well. the cold sore's (i guess that is what you would call them) in my mouth and the sore throat have cleared up.
    had a long swim on tuesday, it was my longest swim yet, 3k and seemed like my breathing was improved, hard to quantify if it was due to practice in the pool or not smoking but it was a good thing either way.
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Congratz to all of you for quitting and pulling through. Allen Carr's book really did the trick for me too.
    And yes, the cravings still come for a visit every now and then (more then ;-) but I'm the boss and I keep the door shut for visitors like these:bigsmile:
    I used to do push ups or 'jogging in place' when a craving hit me and it helped soooooooooooooo much, burned calories and helped me get fitter.
    Last Sunday I ran my first 5K and am off the nicotine over 9 months now.

Your Quit Date is:Wednesday, November 09, 2011 at 7:00:00 AM
    Time Smoke-Free:278 days, 4 hours, 14 minutes
    Cigarettes NOT smoked:5564
    Lifetime Saved:1 month, 12 days, 12 hours
    Money Saved:€2,182.30

You all are awesome and we can be so proud we did it :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • bvjmom
    bvjmom Posts: 5
    Options
    Tomorrow is my quit date!!! I really have to and know that breathing is more important than the smoke. I also need to lose over 50 lbs and can't breath to excersize I am hoping this will help keep me motivated. Just rejoining the program today to start losing weight and I could really use some support please!!!