Week 1 - 7/30-8/5

Options
AsellusReborn
AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
Welcome to Week 1 of the C25K! We're all new to this, but everyone starts somewhere and I know we can do it.

This week, the work out is:

Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

You'll need to do this 3 times this week, so find a schedule that works for you whether it's M/W/F before work or T / F / Su in the evenings - it's only 25 minutes; you can find that time! Feel free to check in here as you complete your workouts this week.

Replies

• 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to have an ipod ap that is C25K. It is so nice to have it keep track of the time for you. When I started this program previously (about 2 years ago) I ran with a stop watch to keep track of time. Good luck to you all! I think we will all have an awesome week!
  • indygirl2012
    Options
    I started this program with a friend in March and while we were very proud of our progress (went from hardly being able to jog a minute to being able to jog 12 straight minutes) we quit! Life got in the way, AND we never lost a pound in like the 2 months that we did it. BUT my legs changed, and I hate my legs so I am starting again. My former C25K partner is way to busy to stay at it and I appreciate the accountablity! :smile:
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I really can't wait to start! I think I'm going to do either m/w/f or t/th/sat. I'm conflicted because my work schedule is all over the place, but when I start school on August 20, I'll be off t/th for class, which ends at 1:45. Hm! I guess I'll see how my schedule works out next week and go from there.
  • MichelleLydia
    MichelleLydia Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm a week ahead, but that's ok. Just day Day 2 of week 1. Was such a great run despite it being 32*C. Everytime we switched to walking within seconds I was wanting it to be running time again, I'm be doing M/W/F as of next week... possibly an extra day or two just cause I love it so much haha.
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    For those of you who try to exercise everyday, what are going of the off days? Is it ok to jusy walk, or should I try to do some strength training? I'm trying to loose weight...
  • grho
    grho Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    For those of you who try to exercise everyday, what are going of the off days? Is it ok to jusy walk, or should I try to do some strength training? I'm trying to loose weight...

I think I am going to try to mix in some kettlebell workouts or maybe some strength training dvds I have. However I usually am not very consistent about working out so I may try to just start with the c25k for a couple of weeks rather than go overboard and burn myself out....
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    I am still planning on exercising on the off days, especially in the beginning. I will probably lift, swim, bike, elliptical, or take classes at my gym. I just won't jog on those days. But that's just me--I am VERY routine oriented and if I skip working out for even one week day, I know it will be difficult for me to stick with it. I have gone to the gym every week day after work last week and this week and I don't want to stop doing that. I might change my tune once we are up to running most of the time though.
  • MomStar5
    MomStar5 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    jjcteach, I would definitely add some strength training or yoga on your alternate days. Just do not train legs the day before you run. I like to to do my leg training after my runs.
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness, and on my days off, I'm planning on doing their 30 minutes strength training routine. Plus walking at the park and doing exercises at home.
  • MichelleLydia
    MichelleLydia Posts: 224 Member
    Options

For me personally, I do strength training every morning for 20-30 minutes. I do zumba or circuit training on weekdays in the afternoon, or yoga on the weekends, then I run 3-5 nights a week. The weight is melting off. I don't like taking a day off, but I usually limit my weekends to yoga and weights.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

I am doing the C25K in addition to my regular workout routine - I will finish Jillian Michaels 30 day shred on 7/31 and start Ripped in 30 on 8/1. I haven't decided if C25K will be my off days where I just cardio in or if I'll do that + cardio - will have to see how I feel :)
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all suggestions!! I did day one today plus walked 35 min afterwards to make a total of 3 miles... I'm pretty slow, but I feel great!!
  • DeadMarsha
    DeadMarsha Posts: 203
    Options
    I do yoga on my off-days but I'm thinking about incorporating some Zumba on my off-days too just to expedite my weight loss goals. =) I do some strength training after my regular M, W, F workouts (which are now in the form of C25K workouts). ;)
  • cmecme
    cmecme Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Apps helped me soooooo much.

The guy hoffman app wanted to charge me 1.99 so, cheapskate that i am I downloaded this one for free:
    http://c25kfree.com/

I started the first few weeks app free. I found myself looking at the clock every 20 seconds or so (thinking 2 minutes had passed : )). Why does time go so fast when your running late and so slow when you're just plain running? But I digress. Once I downloaded the app i told myself " dont look at clock, dont look down, dont stop until you hear the voice tell you what to do next. It helped so much. Running started be enjoyable - :bigsmile:

Another great tip form someone out there in MFPland:

Chi running technique. Now that i dont constantly count the second 'cuase the voice on my driod tells me what to do next I focus on the chi running technique. If I get tired i start to focus on this technique and it gets me through the run.

Lastly - these tips helped me but i only did get to week 6 last go round and then had to stop for 4 weeks. So i am no pro at this. Just hoping to get to a good 3 mile pace about 3-4 times per week for health benefits.

Good luck
  • weather4000
    weather4000 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just finished day one today. I had to start a few days early due to scheduling reasons. I LOVED it. I have been wanting to start this for such a long time but never had the drive to do it. Thanks to this group it pushed me to finally start it and I am sooooooglad that I did. I downloaded the free app C25KFREE and it was great. It did everything for you, even telling you when to run and walk besides just showing iton the screen.
  • cmecme
    cmecme Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I just finished day one today. I had to start a few days early due to scheduling reasons. I LOVED it. I have been wanting to start this for such a long time but never had the drive to do it. Thanks to this group it pushed me to finally start it and I am sooooooglad that I did. I downloaded the free app C25KFREE and it was great. It did everything for you, even telling you when to run and walk besides just showing iton the screen.

Yeah - go girl. The apps helped me so much. I hope this time i can finish. Keep up the good work, dont stop - you will be amazed how far you can go!!!!
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I have decided to do my training in my early morning workouts Mon., Weds. and Fri. I will also do 2-3 days of strength training and some yoga each week.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    I know this is a day early, but I started C25K today, before finding this group.

it was a LOT easier this time around than it was when hubby and I started C25K the first time earlier this year. The fact that we've become regular walkers I think is what really has made the difference. There is a road right across from my driveway that is exactly 1 mile long. We walk it several times a week. This is also where I will be doing my C25K, at least for the next week or so until hubby gets back from his trip to Sturgis. He doesn't like running outside yet and will want to go back to the treadmills at the gym. I prefer running outside but as long as I'm at the gym I can also get some weight training in as well I suppose.

Just a word of advice to you all; Do NOT be concerned with how fast or slow you "run". My jog is a fast walk for a lot of people, but I dont care. It is fast than MY walk. I think on the treadmill I'm running between 3.6 and 4.1. My walk is 2.5-2.8. I have short legs and a short stride. I am not concerned with speed. My concern is completing the workout. This should be your thoughts too.

If you are really struggling with a run segment then perhaps you need to slow down. If you are having major problems breathing, then you need to slow down. You are not running a race, you are learning to run. Gotta crawl before you can walk. Speed will come later, just take it one day at a time, one workout at a time.

And above all else, KEEP MOVING!!
  • Sinope82
    Sinope82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, i'm actually a week infront as i started last week and will be starting week 2 today. I have to say im slightly nervous about starting week 2. I've never done anything like this before and i still find it hard to imagine that i could ever run for 30 minutes ? Mind you this time last week i didnt think i could run for 60 seconds but i did it. Looking forward to making new friends and supporting each other through this challenge. Good luck everyone !
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Done with Wk 1 Day 1; I was close to talking myself out of it. I feel pretty good. Now for the rest of the day.