Consult with the surgeon

Options
annalobdell
annalobdell Posts: 201 Member
So, today I went to the information seminar on bariatric surgery and then right after had my initial consult with the surgeon.I learned that I will have my surgery in December but that I have to lose 21 pounds in order for it to happen. I really like my surgeon and everyone at the practice was great! I am just scared about losing those 21 pounds. Anyone else have fears about not being able to lose the weight required for surgery?

Replies

• minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    my surgeon had a policy that participants had to be at or under a BMI of 50 so he has many who have a pre-surgery weight loss goal. I did not but still lost 27 pounds before my insurance gave final approval. I think 21 pounds is very achievable; based on your ticker you've already been kicking butt and working towards your goal. Best of luck to you and
  • pljohnson001
    pljohnson001 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I had to lose 18 pounds, and I thought "if I could lose weight on my own, I wouldn't need the surgery!" It turns out that I WAS able to do it with the help of the nutritionist. I also replaced lunches at work with protein shakes and veggies which I think helped tremendously. My doctor explained the reasons for needing to lose, but all of his reasons aside, I'm VERY GLAD I didn't go straight from binges to the post op diet.
    Also, my doctor required I quit caffeine and pop which I found ridiculous, but I did it, and I'm VERY GLAD I wasn't dealing with a caffeine withdrawal headahce on top of the recovery from surgery.
  • annalobdell
    annalobdell Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I am a little worried about kicking my 6 can a day pepsi max addiction, but i have done it before so i will do it again. I just hate the flipping headaches.
  • pljohnson001
    pljohnson001 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I am a little worried about kicking my 6 can a day pepsi max addiction, but i have done it before so i will do it again. I just hate the flipping headaches.

I quit slowly by drinking a bit less each day, so I didn't get the headaches. Took me about 6 weeks to get off pop and caffeinated coffee.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I hear you...I was a Pepsi Max addict too. Matter of fact, its really the only thing I still miss. That was tougher than quitting smoking! You can do it! It will be so worth it. The pre-op period was hard. I bounced back up and down the same 10 pounds for 6 months. Finally I lost around 10 in the 2 week period right before surgery on the prep diet. Use this time to start making new habits that you will need to use afterwards. Dont drink anything 30 minutes before and after eating, learn to chew slowly and thoroughly. Making these things habit now will help you post-op. I am at the point now where I am buying smaller clothes, I am feeling better and healthier, and really starting to feel the benefits of my weight loss. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat! I am excited for you!