Nuts please tell me what you think

Options
mantisladyx
mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
Page 207 on the Wheat Belly book by William Davis MD

Eat Raw Nuts. Raw Almonds, walnut, pecans, pistachios, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts and cashews are wonderful. And you can eat as much as you want. They’re filling and full of fiber, monoun-saturated oils, and protein. They reduce blood pressure, reduce LDL cholesterol(including small LDL particles), and consuming them several times a week can add two years to your life.
You can’t overdo nuts, provided they’re raw. (Raw means not roasted in hydrogenated cottonseed or soybean oils, not honey roasted, not beer nuts or any of the other endless variations in processed nuts, variations that transform healthy raw nuts into something that causes weight gain, high blood pressure, and increases LDL cholesterol.) This is not the “No more then fourteen nuts at a time”, or one-hundred-calories pack recommendation issued by dietitians fearful of fat intake. Many people are unaware that you can even buy raw nuts. They’re widely available in the bulk section of grocery store, in three-pound bags in big box stores such as Sam’s Club and Costco, and at health food stores. Peanuts, of course are not nuts, but legumes; they cannot
Page 208
be consumed raw. Peanuts should be boiled or dry roasted and the label should not include ingredients such as hydrogenated soybean oil, wheat flour, maltodextrin, cornstarch, sucrose—nothing but peanuts.

Like I said the above is quoted from the book wheat belly, and I would like to know if anyone knows why we should not have nuts, because they are high fat, after all I started using butter and coconut oil in my coffee to get more fat into the diet.
Please give me your opinions on that, for the time being I put all my Nuts back in the freezer so that I am not tempted to eat them. (more then I should)

Replies

• GnaBean
    GnaBean Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm very confused. You quote text that supports eating nuts, but then your words and actions suggest that eating them would be bad. Am I misintrepreting something?
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    As far as Paleo/Primal, I think true nuts are OK, like almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistachios, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts. A cashew is a seed in the middle of the apple that grows on a cashew tree, and they are OK also.

The peanut, is not a nut, but a legume, which is not OK.
  • mantisladyx
    mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am sorry I should have clarified that , I have been reading lots of blogs and being told that eating to many Nuts hinders Weight loss, so I want to find out what is true, because I am confused. I am New to primal/paleo eating and The Wheat Belly book started me on cutting out wheat and sugar..........but I have not been losing as much as I thought because I have been eating lot's of Nuts.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Page 207 on the Wheat Belly book by William Davis MD

Eat Raw Nuts. Raw Almonds, walnut, pecans, pistachios, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts and cashews are wonderful. And you can eat as much as you want. ...

Nuts are great, but you can't eat as much as you want and expect not to increase your wait. You have to work them into your calorie plan, just like everything else.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I am sorry I should have clarified that , I have been reading lots of blogs and being told that eating to many Nuts hinders Weight loss, so I want to find out what is true, because I am confused. I am New to primal/paleo eating and The Wheat Belly book started me on cutting out wheat and sugar..........but I have not been losing as much as I thought because I have been eating lot's of Nuts.

Yes, eating too many will hinder your weight loss - nuts are very calorie dense, so it's easy to take in 500 calories in 3 minutes without realizing it. Like every other food, you need to track and control your intake.
  • CRody44
    Options
    Robb Wolf’s “the Paleo Solution” gives a 30 day meal plan, on pages 237-269. Walnuts, almonds, macadamia, coconut, pecans, hazelnuts, chestnuts and cashews are all on his meal plans.
  • CRody44
    Options
    It’s not the calories, it’s the carbs. As long as you keep between 50 and 100 carbs a day, you will lose weight (Mark Sisson “The Primal Blueprint 21 day Total Body Transformation” pg 53). I eat 60 grams of walnuts every day in my lunch salad: 400 calories, 40g fat, 0g cholesterol, 0 mg sodium, 8 g carbs and 10g protein.

I have difficulty getting all my calories without going over in sodium, so this is a great option for me.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    They are good and you should eat them. But I do think it can be overdone....

I think from a Paleo standpoint, its the ratio of omega 6 to omega 3s. Consuming too many nuts would not be good because they have more omega 6s. I do not know all the details on this, but I do remember it from Primal Blueprint.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options

Yes, eating too many will hinder your weight loss - nuts are very calorie dense, so it's easy to take in 500 calories in 3 minutes without realizing it. Like every other food, you need to track and control your intake.

THIS, too.