N00B asks: more exercise = free carbs?

Options
MisChef
MisChef Posts: 48 Member
Hey, if I exercise, do I get to eat more carbs? This thing is telling me yes, but I've been keeping pretty close to 20/day regardless, and I've only been on the middle-purple "moderate/medium" level on the keto sticks.

Thanks, all y'all? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• datgnat
    datgnat Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    There are others here with way more knowledge and experience than I, but I treat it more as an 'extra calories' excuse. Like you, I'm trying to stay under 20g carbs, as I'm still fresh into the process (I lost 40 lbs about 8 years ago doing Atkins). Better to stay with your carb goal as is, until you know you've gotten past most of your 'insulin resistance'. Make sure you're getting plenty of water--that may be hard if you're a working chef in a kitchen. Most of my life I've pooh-poohed the idea of drinking lots of water for hydration's sake if you're not over-heating or indulging in intense exercise, but here we're talking about a chemical process (the burning of fat) that sounds like it benefits from the extra H2O in the system. Welcome, and we look forward to some interesting lo-carb recipes!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    more exercise = extra calories, not carbs?!

you could test it though i'm sure! although, when i space my carbs out evenly throughout the day, i can eat more (than 20 grams/day), i don't know if that helps you though.

i would assume its a 'your mileage may vary' type of thing where everyone is different.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    To a very small extent. Exercise does help to depletion glycogen stores in the muscles and liver, but to much exercise promotes cortisol.

Basically, just stay low carb and exercise intensely a couple of times per week at most.
  • leigao84
    leigao84 Posts: 2
    Options
    Have you been using the Keto sticks? It really depends on your own body. I found that after a strenuous 8 mile hike I can stay in Keto even if I bump up my carbs to about 100g.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Keto-sticks are not exactly a solid method to measure. Also, being ketonic and burning fat are not one in the same, however being ketonic is a good sigh.

Basically, in a deficit, especially while very low carb and fasting is a guarantee to be a fat burner.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Extra carbs before/after a workout is known as "Cyclical Ketogenic Diet".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_ketogenic_diet

I sometimes eat 20-50g of carbs before doing some really heavy lifting and running when I know i'm gonna be burning at least 400 calories. Of course, lately, I've been known for having a really bad "cheat day" once a week or so where I have a ton of pizza and bad icky stuff and feel like crap for a couple days and gain a bunch of water weight.