Run as far as I can or do C25K?

Options
kmalcolm12
kmalcolm12 Posts: 12 Member
Hi all! I have been attempting to jog around my neighborhood park, which is 2 miles long. I am new to running and really bad at the whole breathing correctly bit. Anyway, right now I am just trying to push myself to run straight for farther...the best I have done this week is 1/2 a mile straight.

Questions is: do you think I should just try to keep pushing myself to go further each time or should I try an actual walk/run training program? I want to be able to run these two miles in the next 3-4 months (or shorter). Has anyone had experience with both and what worked? Also, any breathing tips....I have heard inhaling deeply thru the stomach and not chest. but thats hard to do while running imo. Tips would help! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jase1981
    jase1981 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    hey I have started back running this week. So you could say I am a repeat rookie a injury and lazyness sidelined me. I ran cross country in high school. Something for me I have learned not sure if it applies to everyone. Running should be easy and enjoyable and when I take it easy my body always lets me know when it is ready to go farther or faster. I have learn this the hard way. The only way I am going to endure pain is if I ever train seriously to improve speed. Now I am just going to enjoy running for my health.
    I think if you don't have a lot of running experience running the walk/running programs that are out there may work great for you.
  • jsunshine220
    jsunshine220 Posts: 109
    Options
    Hi kmalcom12,

I don't think it is a bad thing to simply push yourself farther each time so that you can reach your goal. However, I do think you should definitely work on your breathing before progressing. Maybe the shorter jog sessions that the program uses will allow you to develop that habit. During the jog sessions, you can concentrate on your breathing. Just in case you fall back into the shorter breaths, you will have the walking sessions to recover and try again on your next jog session.

Taking deep breaths is key. Alot of times, when running, you feel tired because you are out of breath. When you take deep breaths and control your breathing, you don't feel tired as quick That will allow you the ability to push farther and reach your goal..

Either way, happy trails and let us know how things work out.

J
  • kmalcolm12
    kmalcolm12 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    I have done both, and I found I was able to increase my distance better with the C25K program. I think it might have been the set goals and timeframe I had to achieve that helped me to push myself a little harder.