Looking for a geek name for my dog

Options
southpaw211
southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
We're getting a lab puppy this fall - she should be ready to be picked up the week of Halloween. We won't know until the pups are born whether she will be yellow or black. We've been struggling coming up with a name that clicks with us. I'm not really into your typical dog names, would prefer something with some meaning for us. My husband and I, having Irish ancestors, love Ireland and all things Irish. Our first lab was named Bailey (the source of my profile pic). Our dalamatian is Piper. Both kind of Irish. Maybe a little Scotch in Piper's case.

Anyhow. We (me especially), are also into the geeky. Star Wars, LoTR, Buffy/Whedon (my daughter is named after Alyson Hannigan), Dr. Who, comic books, video games. Elves. I love me some elves, especially some R.A. Salvatore-esque drow. So that's kind of what I'm after. We've come up with a pretty solid name for her if she's yellow - she'll be Willow (more Buffy there). But if she's black... I'm not sure. I prefer Willow for a yellow lab only, unless maybe I was thinking of doppelgangland Willow. I'm also thinking of Halloween/Autumn type names that would work as well. My husband is an even bigger PITA - he's a fan of two syllable names and if they end in an "ie" sound, even better. I picked Gypsy (huge Stevie Nicks fan as well), but he shot it down.

I'd love some brainstorming ideas! I've gone through a lot of character names - Arwen, Anya, River, - definitely not Leia or Amidala. Good thing I have 3 months to figure it out!

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Adira (Babylon 5)
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I called my dog Lyta (Babylon 5) I waited till I got her to see what she looked like, tried out a lot before I settled on that. I have to repete it a lot when people ask what her name is!
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Reboot

Rosie

Betty
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Proxy
    Zephyr
    Onyxia
    Trillian

I'm always bad at naming. Tolkien's elves have really long names so they don't work well on pets if you want to use full name. Same goes for drow names.
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Muffit
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i'm getting chickens! (for eggs since i eat so many)
    i'm gong to name them rose, martha, donna, amy, and clara
    rose will be white, martha will be black, amy and donna red, and clara brown (for their hair colours!)

my friend named her cat one of her warlock pets names from warcraft, but the name escapes me now.

what about khaleesi? but that work likely work better for a blond dog, haha.
    arya if shes going to be dark though!

you didn't mention if you like game of thrones, but most people doooo, so yea. arya is preeettyyy and quite girly!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I think that, if you are getting a lab, the geekiest name would be Dexter. Dexter the Lab. :)
  • FadedFreckles
    FadedFreckles Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Name for a large black dog? Has to be Sirius!
  • iconnor
    iconnor Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I named my first dog The Cheat, and a year later, got another and named him Firebert (from homestarrunner.com). :)

If i ever got two dogs at once, I promised myself I would name them Calvin and Hobbes.
  • southpaw211
    southpaw211 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    These are all great ideas, thank you! I would be all over Sirius if I were getting a boy - love it!

I have a love/hate relationship with GoT. The bleakness frustrates me, but I love the Starks (and Tyrion, of course - who doesn't?). Argh! Arya would be a great name - that is definitely going on my list!
  • moonpony
    moonpony Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My big black dog's name is Róta. I figured a Vaklyrie name would go well for a large black female dog. Good luck finding something you like. :-)
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking Winston
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

If going for that angle, Padfoot would be better.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options
    black dog: nite
    yellow dog: dae?
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Buckminster..or bucky for short.
  • EvanKeel
    Options

I'm guess I'm being dense, but I don't see how. Sirius is the dog star.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Options

I'm guess I'm being dense, but I don't see how. Sirius is the dog star.

Its...one of those.. you know.. Harry Potter things *nod nod*
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    So, off the top of my head, here are some names:

Kitiara
    Samantha "Sam"
    Caprica
    Sabriel
    Alia
    Chani
    Irulan
    Asuka
    Hastur
    Winry
    Nami
    Lady Nightstalker
    Artemis
    Gwendolyn
    Arwen
    Morrigan
    Morgana
    Drusilla
    Zoey
    Y.T.
    Irene
    Leeloo
    Six
    Tifa
    Aerith
    Yuffie
    Yuna

I could go on...
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I think that, if you are getting a lab, the geekiest name would be Dexter. Dexter the Lab. :)
    Uh hu!
  • EvanKeel
    Options
    There's also a line from priscilla queen of the desert.

Herpes, if she's good, she'll heel [sic].