Why are diary's closed?

Options
splashangel
splashangel Posts: 494 Member
I hope this is not one of those questions that gets people riled. I've been looking for a female who strength trains to kinda follow. I am having a very hard time finding open diary's. I am almost 45 and have been playing around with the weights for a few months but am now 8 lbs. from goal (165 at 6') and I have just started getting serious. I would really like a female friend who knows the ropes.

Replies

2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    i keep mine closed because I don't log it.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

I'm confused. What do you use MFP for then?

To the OP: if you post you're stats and goals then you could get some advice on cal/macro targets and don't have to copy anyone :smile:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

I'm confused. What do you use MFP for then?

No doubt, it's the unparalleled diet and fitness advice. And the "do you think the above poster is hot" threads.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I think the OP was looking for exercise diaries to follow? Not food/macro questions?
    Right?

My food diary is open but I don't log my lifting here. MFP sucks for that. I use fitocracy for exercise.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    I think the OP was looking for exercise diaries to follow? Not food/macro questions?
    Right?

What I was getting at was that it's not really a good idea to just follow someone else just because they are doing well. And being that our body sees macros/micros it's easier to get a basic goal sorted for them and fill them up with whatever she likes ie. not just eating mushrooms because someone else does and they're good for you :smile:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Right?

What I was getting at was that it's not really a good idea to just follow someone else just because they are doing well. And being that our body sees macros/micros it's easier to get a basic goal sorted for them and fill them up with whatever she likes ie. not just eating mushrooms because someone else does and they're good for you :smile:

mushrooms are nasty. I wouldn't eat them even if you told me I would gain a pound of muscle every time I did....:laugh:

ok, maybe I would :laugh: :tongue:

I :heart: you, Chris
    :smooched:
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    LOL. I agree on the mushrooms. Have hated since I was a kid but just recently seeing if I've changed my thoughts. They're growing on me a little bit.

P.S Love that crazy emoticon!
  • splashangel
    Options
    Well...
    I sure don't want to offend but, I was hoping to find a friend. Someone I could learn from. Both food and excercise. But, I try to eat fairly clean and someone eating a lot of bad stuff might not be able to give me the advice I might need. I don't understand how much fat , sugar etc I should get. I lost my weight in a little over a year and a half logging calories. My diary should be viewable but the last few days are really sloppy. But if you look over the past few weeks you can get a real good feel for how I eat. I think my needs may be diffrent with lifting.
    Any quick adds to my diary usually have explanations at bottom in notes.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    As you are close to you're goal I would be reducing the calorie deficit to around 250 per day.

At 165lbs I'd estimate maintenance around 2300-2600cals. May be higher or lower depending on how active you are in general. This is a starting point.

I'd aim for 100g protein minimum, 55g fat minimum & make up the rest of the cals with carbs.

It doesn't matter exactly what you eat for body composition but obviously it does for health. SO if you can stick to whole unprocessed foods the majority of the time then you can still fit "junk" food into you're diet and not sacrifice anything in terms of body comp.

What is you're current training?
  • splashangel
    Options
    Thanks for that imfo. My current training? Well, Some days I jog out doors. At least 1 mile and up to 3. Treadmill on others. Run for a few then jump off and do things like weighted lunges. About once a week I go in my yard and drag a land timber around, jump garden rows,push/ a dead lawn mower and run with bricks etc. I sprinkle in push ups, calve raises crunches etc each day throughout the week. A few days a week I have been lifting weights( home gym) but with no real direction untill this past week. Someone here gave me a chart of what body parts to work on what days. I plan to lift 4-5 days a week. I'd like to keep some cardio. I've had back surgery. Sometimes the running bothers my back. Weights, crunches,pushups on the other hand have helped my back.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Sounds like you're very active :smile:

Re the weight training: I'd stick with a beginner program that is full body 3x a week like starting strength or stronglifts. Obviously don't do anything that aggravates you're back though. If you have a home db set then you can do this for a while and once the weights get a bit easy you can modify the lifts ie. deadlift to one legged stiff leg deadlift, squats to bulgarian split squats etc.

The other stuff you do sounds like it would be a bit of strength training also but I suppose the difficulty is measuring progress.

It is interesting that the running bothers the back but strength training doesn't. Impact related maybe?

Oh and the reason I was saying to reduce cal deficit closer to goal weight is that in most cases goal weight on the scale is seperate issue to body composition and when you are close to healthy weight range it is generally better to focus on BF% (increasing muscle & decreasing fat) via calipers, mirror, measurements IMO.

Hope that helps :smile:
  • splashangel
    Options
    Alright. I really appreciate this. As for my back. I think it's the pounding when I run. Strengthening my core helped me more then I can put in to words. With lifting, I have control. No sudden unexpected movements. A few weeks ago I over did it on squats and it bothered me. I'd say my form got sloppy.
  • RunningDirty
    RunningDirty Posts: 293
    Options
    I have an open diary and log daily so feel free to scope it out. Mushrooms are involved as is vino so you've been forewarned! :bigsmile:
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I would eat your weight in protein grams a day.....so at least 165 (.8-1.5 times your body weight). I'd keep your sugar below 40, carbs in the 100-150 range and the rest good fats. I don't sweat going over in protein or healthy fat at all. Eat no more than 2 servings fruit per day and as many veggies as you can...I aim to eat one at every meal and as many different colors as I can.
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i keep my diary open. try to eat as healthy as i can, but i do go out to eat often. feel free to add me
  • splashangel
    Options
    @ jenluvsushi. Is this something I need to just use pen and paper? I havn't been able to put in the amounts suggested on this topic because of the way the system is set up. When I enter the amount of carbs it changes the protein! How do you all keep track?
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    just play with the %'s until they're close to the targets.

Mine are set so P&F are minimums.
  • splashangel
    Options
    O.k then. Thanks again.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    @ jenluvsushi. Is this something I need to just use pen and paper? I havn't been able to put in the amounts suggested on this topic because of the way the system is set up. When I enter the amount of carbs it changes the protein! How do you all keep track?

You can set it up as a percentage....I think mine is 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat. Just keep playing with it...it can be manually adjusted. If you can't figure out how to manually adjust your macros, keep in mind that you need your protein to be around what your weight is so you should be able to remember that. That is the most important thing for me. I also try to keep my carbs between 100 and 150....the rest is fat. I don't really sweat anything but the protein really.