New to group

Options
tiffinielise
tiffinielise Posts: 7 Member
Hello! I have battled hypo thyroid for about five years now. Fluctuating weight. I just want to lose 20 lbs and keep it off. Is that even possible? Lol. I really don't want to take meds for the rest of my life but I have a goiter(?) w small nodules. So I'm not sure if I can even attempt to get off the meds and cure this naturally. I'm transitioning to a vegan/raw food diet bc I have heard this helps and that some ppl have cured their disease by doing this. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

Replies

• tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have not heard of anyone being cured of hypothyrodism by what they eat...also not sure about eating raw. If you have goiters, you need to avoid foods that are goiterogens -- such as cruciferous veggies that are raw -- things like cabbage, broccoli, spinach, etc. you can google to find the full list -- the goiterogens are destroyed when these veggies are cooked, so we should not eat them raw. Also avoid SOY.

But I agree 100% that eating natural, whole foods and avoiding processed/packaged foods is the way to go. Our body can't deal with the preservatives and sugar/starches in processed food.
  • tiffinielise
    tiffinielise Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I'll research that!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that it can't be cured through diet; diet just manages the symptoms and stops it from getting worse.

I personally would be skeptical of the whole vegan/raw food thing. First of all, our bodies have evolved to have a harder time getting nutrients from raw food, to the point that women who go on the raw food diet often stop menstruating. Secondly, I think you will have a hard time getting protein on a vegan diet when you can't eat soy.
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I, also have multi nodular toxic goiter. I was hypo for 40 years and took meds, (really not a big deal, the pills are small). You can not replace thyroid hormone with anything but thyroid hormones. (sorry). Then suddenly after 40ish years I became hyper thyroid as some of the nodules went wild, another round of different meds. After a 5 year battle and getting worse I had 1/2 surgically removed and now back on synthroid and cytomel was added. Doing better. Needless to say, your thyroid can change, get worse, or stay the same, but probably not get a lot better. I am finally able to loose weight! the cytomel balance with the synthroid and the surgery helped. When I was hypo or hyper totally unable to loose weight. A great endocrinologist has helped a lot.