Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Macros?

Fiona_Bullough
Fiona_Bullough Posts: 138 Member
Hi all,

Just wondering, what do you aim for with your C, P & F? What are your macros?

I try to keep my carbs as low as possible, today 27g which is a low day, generally around 50g and sometimes up to 90g of carbs.

I try to hit around 90g protein.

However, my macros don't add up!!

I have them set at 30C /35F / 35P.

This means approx 90 / 47 / 105

I am usually way under on my carbs, about right or just over on my fat and slightly under on Protein. I shoot for 1200 cals.

So, am I doing it wrong? Should I try to up my carbs? Are my macros unrealistic?

Many thanks :smile:

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Well, we are all different so there is no 'right answer' but I feel best (and still losing) on around:

15% Carbohydrate
    65% Fat
    20% Protein

This is very variable and I sometimes have a relative dietary fatfest but generally 15% carbs (mostly veggies, preferably) is the one I aim for first.

In general if I am looking to be short of calories for the day then carbohydrate is still the last thing to be added. So, time to cook up some sausages or rissoles :)

Less carbohydrate, less insulin, more chance for your body to preferentially burn fat.

Especially late in the day. I like to go the bed knowing my body will be munching away on my fat tissue as I sleep ;)

Generally I'd shoot for 50g of carbs absolute max for the day if you have a fair bit lose.

But then I am a 6ft bloke with a fair bit of muscle (not bragging, just pointing it out :)) so my requirements will differ.
  • LaJaunaF
    LaJaunaF Posts: 112 Member
    I do a modified Atkins... and this is what my Macros seem to rest at as long as I keep my carbs at 5% my proteins seem to stay at about 20% and my fats come in at 70%!
  • Fiona_Bullough
    Wow!! Thanks for the replies guys! I think I still fear the fat!

So, if I shoot for 1200 cals and I keep my carbs low, I can afford to up my fats. But if I am reaching 1200 cals at the mo and my fats are generally around 35-40% and protein around 35%, where are my cals coming from?!?!

How can I keep my cals the same but up my fats/protein? Or am I OK as I am?

Also, can I ask you both, do you work out on such low carbs? How do you feel?

Yesterday for one reason and another I had only had around 400cals and 5g carbs by 4pm - had a massive omelette for late breakfast so couldn't face lunch when the family ate as was too full, by the time I was wanting food I couldn't get to any!! I ate chicken, green salad and greek yoghurt and mint dressing at 4pm which was very few carbs again. Also had a small bag of pork scratchings (rinds).

So from morning until about 8pm I'd had about 600cals and 5g carbs and I felt terrible! So tired and my brain didn't seem to work! I was putting it down to the lack of carbs that day. I had a couple of squares of dark chocolate to try to give me a boost then had my tea and felt so much better. I couldn't imagine working out on such low carbs. Or is it more the cals that are a problem?

• Whatever I set my carbs at on MFP, I never stick to their stats. I'm usually over on calories, over on fat, under on protein. I try to have a healthy LOW CARB diet so that's the only stat I'm interested in. Except the protein. As I'm always under on this I'm getting some protein shake to bump it up.... low carb of course :) I don't worry about my calories at all. In fact, I would think aiming for 1200 on a low carb/high fat diet wouldn't really work. My calories are set at 1570 by MFP and I'm always over, sometimes my total is up to 2000. My diary's open if you want to look although I am vegetarian so it might not help you much.
  • TheVimFuego
    I would say 5g of carbohydrate a day is way too low for for me, I'd aim for more carbs but from better sources ... nobody got fat from eating veggies so load up :) Sweet potato is a good option too.

Once you get below 30 to 50g a day I would say the benefits get progressively less as you decrease intake.

Regarding 'working out', I don't really, I do a lot of low-level aerobic activity (walking) and some heavyish lifting and that is it .. I can't say energy levels have been an issue for the last few months that I've been low carbing.

If I don't feel the need then I rest, 80% nutrition and 20% exercise for me, sometimes the physical stuff can take a back seat for me :)
  • TheVimFuego
    Oh, and hitting 600 calories late in the day and then only having chocolate (of whatever quality) as an option, if I read your post correctly, does not sound like a good way to go.

I think you aren't feeling great because your body is starving for nutrients, concentrate on good whole foods (meat, eggs, seafood and veggies for me) and don't fear the dietary fat is my best advice :)
  • Fiona_Bullough
    Oh, and hitting 600 calories late in the day and then only having chocolate (of whatever quality) as an option, if I read your post correctly, does not sound like a good way to go.

I think you aren't feeling great because your body is starving for nutrients, concentrate on good whole foods (meat, eggs, seafood and veggies for me) and don't fear the dietary fat is my best advice :)

Thanks. Agree, it was a bad day. Need to distribute cals better.have felt much better since. Thanks for the info :smile: